• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Mi16 Power Steering Seal

JeffR

My Mi16 power steering has sprung a leak at the upper pinion seal.

Can anyone give me the part no. of the upper seal (closest to the splined coupling), as my parts cd for some reason doesn't have cover the pinion assy.

BTW, it's a Bendix unit.

Thanks

welshpug

there aren't any parts listed for the Pinion on servicebox.

JeffR

Thanks Welshpug-I thought that may be the case. :o

I've got another lead however which might bring success-the company accredited to fixing the PSA auto trans units here in Oz used to repair the pinions as well. Fingers crossed they still do.

I'll report back when I've spoken with them next week.

Haze

I got a p/s kit from eurospares, and my bro reco'd the p/s head/rack.

the kit is a universal PSA kit with quite a few other seals/spacers/etc

ill see if i can dig out the receipt when i get a chance today/tomorrow

JeffR

Hi Haze,

Any info would be appreciated.

It's only a simple seal, & would most likely be used in many other applications.

Haze

found receipt but it didn't tell me any part no's....

I think my brother still has the packet and i need to speak to him soon anyway so ill ask about it soon.

Other than waiting for me, you could also contact Kevin @ Eurospares and im sure he'll be able to help out.

JeffR

Success! :D

After several phone calls & referrals from one company to another, I finally found what I needed from a place in Western Aust called Power Steering Parts Australia.

They supply to the trade only so remember, you're a mechanic!

http://www.pspa.com.au/index.shtml

They have a kit for the 405. It's part # PSK 668 & includes both seals & teflon sealing tape for AUD$63 incl GST. + postage.

Edited by JeffR

Haze

btw are you looking to rebuild the rack "head" yourself? it was a tricky job even for my brother who has over 15 yrs experience in the auto trans industry, as the head isnt actually meant to be rebuilt due to the pressed-in seal, but he was able to make a groove for a circlip, and he also used loctite to help secure.

JeffR

Hi Haze,

If by rack 'head' you mean the pinion assembly, you're right that it wasn't made to be serviced. But since the upper seal is held in by a circlip & washer with the pinion body swaged (sp) over the washer, all that's needed is to grind away the swaging with a Dremel, or similar which allows the washer, circlip & seal to be removed.

You can just see the 6 swaging points (now ground off) on the outer body which allow for dismantling.

Edited by JeffR

Sign in to follow this