• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Idriz

Need Lowering Springs

Idriz

Anyone from the states selling a set of lowering spring if not does anyone know who carries them here or i have to order them from out there, and what do you guys suggest what brand ?

Idriz
I think these are the best springs in a 405.

http://www.hamann-tuning.de/joomla_1108/in...6&Itemid=95

With the 45-50mm springs the Mi16 get 55-60mm lower. Looks and drives great.

Perhaps they ship to USA if you ask.

Best Regards,

Dirk

Thank you Dirk thank you so much will call them very interested, you made my weekend

rodionski

Best Regards,

Dirk

Dirk,

Are those springs better than Eibach Pro-Performance Kit? Are they stiffer? Are they straight or progressive?

I have Eibach installed (progressive coil with softer and harder sections), but I would like my Mi16 to sit a bit lower and stiffer for track use.

Many thanks!

rodion

D.B.205

Hi,

the Hamann Springs are not progressive.

I had Eibach springs in my 405 Break, last week I exchange this with Hamann Springs - I drive better and looks better too.

The are about 25-30mm lower than the Eibach.

With yellow Koni Shock Absorbers from a 309 GTI the 405 is about 70mm lower then original.

Will make a picture tomorrow.

Here some springs data:

Windings: 5,5

High: 320mm

Diameter: 147mm

Diameter wire: 12,5mm

Best Regards,

Dirk

rodionski
Hi,

the Hamann Springs are not progressive.

I had Eibach springs in my 405 Break, last week I exchange this with Hamann Springs - I drive better and looks better too.

The are about 25-30mm lower than the Eibach.

With yellow Koni Shock Absorbers from a 309 GTI the 405 is about 70mm lower then original.

Will make a picture tomorrow.

Here some springs data:

Windings: 5,5

High: 320mm

Diameter: 147mm

Diameter wire: 12,5mm

Best Regards,

Dirk

Hi! Thanks a lot for the info!

Are you saying that the Hamann springs are considerably stiffer than Eibach?

What about Ecosse lowering springs? They appear to be progressive and cost only GBP 69.00 - are those only for the looks but not for the track?

The first couple of days after fitting Eibach I was kind of confused because of that progressive action - I got used to straight action from stock Mi16 springs.

Are the 309 shocks a direct fit to the 405?

I know that the 306 shocks are a direct fit.

I think that 70mm is a bit too much, especially for Ukraine where we hardly have any decent roads... :-)

Are the 306 shocks any higher than the 309?

thanks,

Rodion.

Edited by rodionski

D.B.205

Hello,

yes the Hamann springs are a little bit stiffer than the Eibach...but allready good for drive everyday.

I do not know about the ecossé springs.

The 309 GTI shock absorber fit without problems to the 405 (cut only one holder from brake hose) - 15mm lower the a 405 shock absorber. (But I think wheels couldn´t bigger then 17" now)

The 306 go to, the are higher then 309 - I think the are same high as the 405.

I´ve a set 306 shocks with 75mm springs from KAW, I will test it on my V6 with 18" wheels.

Best Regards,

Dirk

post-654-134540336139_thumb.jpg

Jer309GTi

So the whole strut assembly (spring and shock) from a 306 is a direct fit to the 405 then?

D.B.205

I will take 306 springs because they are made for more weight at the front axle...over 1000kg.

I think it´s better for the heavier V6. But I does not know how low the 405 would be with this combo... but I think about 70mm or more. :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Dirk

rodionski
I will take 306 springs because they are made for more weight at the front axle...over 1000kg.

I think it´s better for the heavier V6. But I does not know how low the 405 would be with this combo... but I think about 70mm or more. :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Dirk

Could you specify what you mean by KAW 75mm springs?

My two options for 405 Mi16 are:

1. Coilover setup for 306 (FK Automotive)

2. Koni Sport adjustable shocks (309 front and 405 back) and either 405 or 306 springs (Hamann, Eibach, KW, H&R etc.)

Discussing option 2., what would be the better combination for track use? Generally meaning lower and stiffer set up.

Many thanks!

rodion.

D.B.205

K.A.W. have a shocks and springs for the 306 which would be 75mm lower than original.

But I don´t know how low the 405 would be with this setup.

There you can inform:

http://www.fahrwerke.de/de/index.php

Discussing option 2., what would be the better combination for track use? Generally meaning lower and stiffer set up.

I think Koni shocks yellow with springs (I would prefer Hamann springs 55mm lower) is a very good combination.

How big are the wheels you drive on the 405?

Best Regards,

Dirk

rodionski

K.A.W. have a shocks and springs for the 306 which would be 75mm lower than original.

But I don´t know how low the 405 would be with this setup.

There you can inform:

http://www.fahrwerke.de/de/index.php

I think Koni shocks yellow with springs (I would prefer Hamann springs 55mm lower) is a very good combination.

How big are the wheels you drive on the 405?

Best Regards,

Dirk

Thanks a lot for the info!

I am running stock 14" wheels and Formula 901 tyres 195/60. Will be switching to 205/45 R16 wheels and tyres once I find tyres decent for track use.

The biggest I could go is 17" tyres, but I tend to think the 17" set up would be too heavy.

What's your opinion re FK Automotive coilover setup? They have sets for both 309 and 306 and the prices seem to be quite attractive - about EUR600 for a set of decent front coilovers (not entry level stuff).

D.B.205

Hello,

I'm not convinced of FK automotive parts.

Of course, 600, - a good price ... but the coilover do not have the best reputation.

KW Variant 2 "inox line" is better in quality and handling and adjustment...but expensive too.

But there are many different opinions.

Here is a photo of a 405 with Peugeot 205/309 KW coilover suspension - which is maximum low:

post-654-134540336172_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Dirk

welshpug

I don't understand why people feel the need to lower their 405 Mi16's, I checked how low the cat + centre box are on mine, roughly 125mm, which is 5", only 1" taller than the maximum height of a british speedhump......

rodionski
Hello,

I'm not convinced of FK automotive parts.

Of course, 600, - a good price ... but the coilover do not have the best reputation.

KW Variant 2 "inox line" is better in quality and handling and adjustment...but expensive too.

But there are many different opinions.

Here is a photo of a 405 with Peugeot 205/309 KW coilover suspension - which is maximum low:

Best Regards,

Dirk

Wow, Dirk - that's way too low for Ukraine. I would be ripping the side plastic moldings within 500 meters of driving and the oil sump would be slammed open within 2 km..

I guess the 306 coilover setup which should also be a bit stiffer is the way to go.

And, alternatively, the 309 hamann springs and koni sport yellow shocks would be about right - this setup would still be higher than what you showed on that picture, right?

D.B.205
I guess the 306 coilover setup which should also be a bit stiffer is the way to go.

And, alternatively, the 309 hamann springs and koni sport yellow shocks would be about right - this setup would still be higher than what you showed on that picture, right?

I mean 405 Hamann springs (about 55mm lower) and 309 gti shock absorbers from Koni. :unsure:

This setup with 195/40 R17 have 58cm from middle of the front arches to earth.

Best Regards,

Dirk

Edited by D.B.205

rodionski
Anyone know what the two sample cars are?

http://www.hamann-tuning.de/joomla_1108/in...7&Itemid=86

Think the first one sounds like an Mi but the second sounds like a motorbike (or an Mi at like 10,000rpm :P )

it doesnt even sound like an mi16.....

Those samples are IMHO not of a Mi16 engine - they are the same if 206 parts are chosen for instance. I think those are just to give an idea of what a real race car should sound like and are from some closed track pro beast revving to 10000-12000 rpm with sequential gearbox etc etc.

On second thought - that beast could be the Mi16 Longman BTCC engine :-)

Edited by rodionski

cammmy
it doesnt even sound like an mi16.....

If you have heard an Mi engine at 10,000rpm then brilliant i'd love a link. I think the first one is similar.

JeffR

If you have heard an Mi engine at 10,000rpm then brilliant i'd love a link

Maybe not 10000rpm, more like 8500rpm but sweet anyhow & deffo an Mi...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tfHZ8ghd9RI&NR=1

Edited by JeffR

Idriz
Anyone from the states selling a set of lowering spring if not does anyone know who carries them here or i have to order them from out there, and what do you guys suggest what brand ?

i saw these puma springs for sale on ebay, anyone ever heard of them ?

Idriz

Best Regards,

Dirk

ordered lowering springs from u.k. on ebay a brand called puma, i just had them installed and you guys probably heard of them but i never did, anyway they fit perfect and the the height is just perfect as well as the ride very smoth, was just wondering if anyone ever tried them, again thanks for all your help everyone.

One more question the back could use a 1/2" drop or 3/4" max does anyone know how do you lower the back, or should i just leave it alone, im happy they way it looks anyway again thank you

rodionski

Hey guys.

So I've fitted TRACK DAY -60mm springs for a 306.

Now the car in fact does NOT sit anything close to low enough as seen from the pics. The reason being that actually the top mounts now rest on BUMP STOPS. This jacks up the whole idea since the springs are not compressed enough to work properly, and the car is still a bit soft and wollowy at the front, jumping on the bump stops.

Hence a question - who did what with the stock bump stops?!!

The obvious idea would be to cut them by about 30-40mm, but then the fear would be to hit a bump where the strut could collapse and be destroyed.

I imagine that the spring would supposedly work a lot better in that span and not allow the front to dip that low, but still a risk is eminent.

Many thanks for all your input ASAP as i am scheduled for a track day event on monday.

Sign in to follow this