• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Gti6 Inlet Manifold On A S16

calvinhorse

Finally managed to get hold of a gti-6 inlet manifold of ebay for a bargain £52 and a 20minute trip to chesterfield!

the picture was crap and it looked dirty, the map sensor was also missing! no roblem!

So their i am, garage all to myself so i set to work removing the ASAC sorry "AVAC" system.. first off comes the plastic runners, easy peasy seeing astho they have been on and off no less than 3 times since ownership!

But next came the ally inlet with 8 bolts, 4 of which being about 7.5" long with a 6mm allenkey head (which all rounded off instantly) so out came the hacksaw.. and after some serious blood sweat and f-words and a good tugg :D it came off, (writing this was alot easyer than doing it, it actually took nearly 3 hours)..

so next i jetwashed the inlet fannymould and cleaned the throttle body, i didnt go to town and paint it as the rest of the bay is a mess.

i then cleaned the mateing serfaces with a stanley knife blade and went to my local peugeot dealer -(horderns chappel-en-le-frith who are the masters and what all pug dealers should be like!) and bought the inlet to head gasket and tb gasket which they had in stock and cost a bargain £3.42 :)

to fit the manifold i had to reroute the oil filler closer to the slam pannel using some old 205gti water hose i had lying about, its not brilliant but shouldnt be a problem till i next change the oil as the neck isnt sloped as much as it used to be..

next problem was the metal power steering pump pipe which runs across the front of the engine, it foweled the manifold so i carefully bent it away from the manifold so it now runs across the top of the pump rather than between the pump and manifold and closer to the slam pannel.

i then bolted the manifold in place and tb on, i used the standard injectors and fuel rail.

next was the idle control valve- i gutted out the gti 6 icv instead of making up take off plate and mounted the mi16 icv to that using 20mm hose, i used a oil breater filter instead of plumming it back into the airbox because im nut using the oe filter. then a simple bracket was made to mount the icv.

the map sensor hole was blocked off with an ally plate bolted and siliconed into place

i then bloxcked off the top breater on the tb and the bottom one is joined to the charcoal canister (i think.... i hope.. i dunno why...) and the grey ang yellow pugs where plugged in (same as mi16). then took a t-piece off the fuel regulator to go to the vacume on the ecu (thin black pipe).

the throttle body sat so close to the battery i decided to move the battery to the boot, this gave me alot more room so i have now ordered a silicone hose and filter which will sit at the back of the headlight, the iggnition modules where taken off the battery tray and mounted to the inner wing.

and i think thats it..

I took her out for a spin yesterday and oh my god what a difference! first thing you notice is the sound! alot deeper and gti-6ish! then the lack of midrange flat spot WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! the only bad thing i noticed was if you set off it struggles abit if you open the throttle to fast im guessing it drowns the engine abit because of the larger tb?!?

Alltogether im really chuffed with the conversion and would highly recomend it!

Jer309GTi

Nice one :) Did you take any pics?

calvinhorse

will load them up asap but its no show winner!

stuart.m

Yeah, its worth it for the noise alone :D

Borntobewild

Pics and a movie!!!!

Sounds good :)

• Like 1

welshpug

I'm dubious as to whether it has any real effect over a fully functioning ACAV system, stick it on a rolling road :P

granted it has a larger throttle body, but that's it.

calvinhorse
I'm dubious as to whether it has any real effect over a fully functioning ACAV system, stick it on a rolling road :P

granted it has a larger throttle body, but that's it.

it has definate effect over a broken ACAV system, and looks better, and sounds better :)

calvinhorse

why did you do it then?

welshpug

I didn't do it to my own car, I fitted a 2.0 Mi into a 1.6 205 for someone and the engine they'd bought had a gti6 inlet bolted to it.

Seemed to be somewhat of a failed project as it hadn't been completed, no Idle valve knock sensor and several other parts missing, even had the original water pump fitted, stamped 1992 :blink:

certainly seemed to go well, the sound was a bit odd, part Mi16 exhaust note part gti6 induction roar/Mi16 howl, though having only driven standard 205's I had nothing to compare it to bar my standard 405 Mi16.

Gibbo1345402285

Any pics Pony?

calvinhorse

going to get my car rolling roaded next week so ill put up the result graph,

to be honest after driving the mi for a week with the six manifold on it is very flat bottom end and seams to be overfueling as the tail peice is fairly black..

however!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it does sound unbelivable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and above 4500rpm it is very fast!

i f*****g love my mi16!!!!!!

Gibbo1345402285

Interested to see your results and any pics you have. Bought an inlet from ebay earlier today

welshpug

Which injectors are you using?

calvinhorse

standard 2.0 mi (think they are yellow?)

Gibbo1345402285

How did you get on at the rolling road session?

calvinhorse

its this saturday :)

calvinhorse

heres the graph (thanks m@tt) please take in to count that my car has done 126,000 miles! the huge dip in power around 2500 is possibly due to a problem with the map sensor, i was also told the car is over fueling!

pretty damn happy with the end power tho!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...516/K187BOE.jpg

petert1345402284
hmmm, mine which it totally bog stock is about 10 bhp up on yours and has done 101k.

114hp (85kW) at the wheels is exactly what I'd expect from a standard, healthy D6C. Impossible to make any sort of comparison with flywheel hp that's derived from wheel hp.

welshpug

mine is an RFY not D6C :P

Sign in to follow this