• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Brake Upgrades

calvinhorse

I'm looking into upgrading the brakes on my phase 2 405 mi16,

am i right in thinking gti-6 brakes are a direct fit? im using 16" nimrod alloys so plenty or room :)

are there any other allternatives? (im not really into 406 brembos, a friend of mine told me the price of pads... ouch!)

the rears look pretty similar to 205 gti rears so im pretty sure there are no upgrades, bar vented discs and pads, but can anyone confim this?

can i buy braided hoses for my car off the shelf?

cheers

calvin

JeffR

I use 406 rotors, calipers & 23.8mm m/cylinder.

They are 283x26mm, rather than the 283x22mm from the Gti6. They fit under the 16" Nimrods too whereas Brembo's won't.

I'm fairly sure the rears are 247x10mm same as 205, 306.

calvinhorse

which 406 are they off?

himbigchief
which 406 are they off?

I've got Mi16 front discs on the rear of my 309 with 205 GTi 1.6 front pad carriers and a couple of spacers to get them in the correct position over the disc. Had to grind the centres of the discs out a bit to get them around the wheel bearings, but jobs a goodun! Got Brembo 4pots on the front with the Xantia V6 discs too. Not 100% sure whether they'd fit the 405 though...

NewBigRearBrakes1.jpg

NewCentreCapsFront.jpg

Jer309GTi
which 406 are they off?

I got mine off of a 406 HDi, look for the ones with 15" wheels on in the scrap yard. They are a direct fit, you need the calipers, discs, pads and caliper carriers.

And yes you can get Goodridge hoses off the shelf, I got mine from a company on ebay :)

calvinhorse

thankyou both very much! do you know if the your 309 rear calipers are the same as 405 rear calipers? i like the sound of what you have done with your rears, well impressed! :) cheers

B1ack_Mi16

Seem like you did the same as me with the rear brakes :)

I also havce the 405 Mi16 front discs at the rear of my 205 track-car and brembos up front (well now I have changed to 300x28mm hi-spec's ;))

The rear calipers on 205/309 are indeed different and it's quite easy to convert to thicker discs as you can use the front pad carriers from the 1.6 gti to make the rear calipers take wider discs. I think this might be harder to do on a 405, but maybe the rear calipers from 205/309 can fit..?

Some pics of my rear brake project:

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/b1ack_mi16-brakes?page=1

himbigchief

I think I stole the idea from you! I seen those pics and just had to do it to mine! I think I tried to get you to send me the drawings/dimensions for the reasr spacers for the calipers at one point. I've just bodged mine using thick washers to space the carrier further out from the caliper. Would still love a set of the spacers! :wub:

JeffR

Nice rims HimBigChief. What size are they & what's their offset?

I've got a set of Brembos here ready to fit onto the 405 but they don't fit behind Nimrods (16 x 6 1/2 ET29mm).

Thanks

cybernck

they should fit behind 16's, you just need a pair of wheel spacers.

quite a bit of a spacer though, 25-ish mm.

JeffR
they should fit behind 16's, you just need a pair of wheel spacers.

quite a bit of a spacer though, 25-ish mm.

You're right that 16" wheel diameter clears the Brembos fine, but won't spacers increase the track?

Would I be better off getting wheels with 25-ish mm less offset to maintain the std track?

welshpug

using spacers as opposed to different offset will both result in a wider track.

himbigchief

The wheels on my pics are Wolfrace Zen 17" (£50 eBay bargain!) and they only just clear the calipers (by less than a mm) using 26mm OZ spacers. Need to get some slightly longer bolts before I get it on the road though. Could you not fit the 16's from a 406 V6 coupe that ran the Brembo's as standard and get clearance? I wouldn't have though that you'd need 25mm spacers to get the Nimrods to clear. I only had to use 26mm spacers as the alloys are Ford offset so needed spacing out 20mm to get the correct offset anyway. The other 6mm was to clear the calipers. Only way to tell for sure is to play around with a load of different width spacers and see what works. That's what I had to do. I've been through 3 sets of spacers to get some that fit right! :rolleyes:

himbigchief

Quick pic of the 309 as it more-or-less is now:

Re-Lowered.jpg

Guest 205pete
I use 406 rotors, calipers & 23.8mm m/cylinder.

They are 283x26mm, rather than the 283x22mm from the Gti6. They fit under the 16" Nimrods too whereas Brembo's won't.

I'm fairly sure the rears are 247x10mm same as 205, 306.

Do the 406 283 mm brakes fit under 15" Mi16 wheels?

Jer309GTi

They do if you use wheel spacers and grind a little bit of the caliper down. There is a thread on here somewhere that tells you how to do it

snave1345402286

Hi all,

interesting thread.. I just bought a set of disc and caliper, said coming straight forward from a 406 coupé V6, but noticed they hacked me . when brought the disc at home they were normal size of a 406, which is 283mm x 26 instead of 305mm, but I get my mind clear when it come to the caliper , its much bigger than the standard 405mi16 caliper and big piston too.. I will put braided hose too with it.. I read somewhere on this forum one our member has put 406 caliper on the 405 and its better brake through out.. as the standard mi16 disc is 263 mm diameter ( corect me if am wrong )

I wonder if I can put 305mm disc with the 406 caliper meant for 283 mm disc ?

cybernck

i'm sorry, but it sounds like your brakes are off a 406 V6, not 406 Coupe V6, or perhaps a 406 Coupe 2.0.

the Brembo's don't look anything like normal calipers and have 4 pistons.

XU10

Late 406 coupé V6 are not equipped with Brembo's... :mellow:

Sign in to follow this