• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Front Subframe Mountings

Jer309GTi

I'm in the process of changing my front subrame as the one on the car has been damaged in the past. One of the the bolts for the subframe is spinning it's captive nut. Its one of the rear bolts, the ones that go up into the cabin. Anyone had this problem before and managed to get over it? I've tried wedging in a screwdriver to hold it, but I can't get it to work. It was the last bolt to undo as well, bloody typical!

Robbo
I'm in the process of changing my front subrame as the one on the car has been damaged in the past. One of the the bolts for the subframe is spinning it's captive nut. Its one of the rear bolts, the ones that go up into the cabin. Anyone had this problem before and managed to get over it? I've tried wedging in a screwdriver to hold it, but I can't get it to work. It was the last bolt to undo as well, bloody typical!

Probably a bit too late now ... (I've just got back on the forum).

This happened to me last year. I had to take the car to a bodyshop / repair joint. He cut a hole in the floor and rewelded the captive nut onto the chassis rail or whatever it sits on. Not an elegant solution but it worked. Only an hour or two's work for a skilled welder.

Baz

I scrapped my first 4bie partly because of the same reason. :(

Not really what you wanted to hear sorry!

Robbo
I scrapped my first 4bie partly because of the same reason. :(

Not really what you wanted to hear sorry!

Yikes!

Mine is OK now. It was a job for a professional though. The chap I had fix mine said the nuts weren't attached particularly well at the factory, something like a little spot weld to hold it in place. I didn't quite thread mine properly then tried to torque it up. Bad move!

Shouldn't kill your car though...

Edited by Four-plus-two

Jer309GTi

I forgot I posted this! I did the same thing as you Four-Plus-Two, I just cut the floor out a bit to get access then welded the nut in place. All good so far!

Sign in to follow this