• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

23.5mm Rear Torsion Bars

B1ack_Mi16

As I'm soon wrecking my beloved Mi16 due to big rust problems in the sills I've just bought a ph2 GTX 1.9 TD.

I've found out I will keep the 1.9 TD engine for economic reasons, but will uprate suspension etc to Mi16.

The rear though is not in so good shape on my existing Mi16 either, so I plan to refurb one I have lying in my garage.

Fist I was thinking Partner torsion bars, but as I could not find any, do you think it will be too harsh and unbalanced if I put 23.5mm torsion bars at the rear?

I have some lying here from PEugeot Sport, they are only 5mm longer than 405 ones so will just cut them to correct length.

Anyone tried 405 with uprated rear bars before?

Jer309GTi

I dont have an answer to your question sorry, but I was wondering where you got the Pug Sport bars from? What are they for, a 306, as you said they are longer than 405 ones? Cheers

B1ack_Mi16
I dont have an answer to your question sorry, but I was wondering where you got the Pug Sport bars from? What are they for, a 306, as you said they are longer than 405 ones? Cheers

They are Peugeot Sport ones, I bought them for approx 300 euros a while ago.

Only 5mm longer than the standard 405 ones, so I will just cut them a little :)

JeffR

I've had a pair of 23mm t/bars made for my Mi16 thru PeterT.

Unfortunatley, several engine failures & health issues have prevented me from fitting them.

Since my 405 is being set up for mainly track work (but still road reg'd), I'm hoping these in conjunction with bigger Partner/Berlingo arb (has anyone confirmed this) will make a good combo for the rear & dial out some understeer.

BTW Black Mi16, what were the Pug Sport bars you have from?

Jeff

B1ack_Mi16
I've had a pair of 23mm t/bars made for my Mi16 thru PeterT.

Unfortunatley, several engine failures & health issues have prevented me from fitting them.

Since my 405 is being set up for mainly track work (but still road reg'd), I'm hoping these in conjunction with bigger Partner/Berlingo arb (has anyone confirmed this) will make a good combo for the rear & dial out some understeer.

BTW Black Mi16, what were the Pug Sport bars you have from?

Jeff

The Partner ARB is that the 21mm one compared to 20mm for the standard Mi16?

The bars are for a 306, need to be shortened 5mm only.

JeffR

The Partner ARB is that the 21mm one compared to 20mm for the standard Mi16?

The bars are for a 306, need to be shortened 5mm only.

Yes, that's the way I understand it. I'm at work & can't check the parts disc, but from this earlier post-

http://forum.405mi16.com/index.php?showtop...20&start=20

Mi16 5170 66 =20mm

Partner 5170 A1 =21mm

Would 1mm make that much difference though?

welshpug

yes, about 25% or so in stiffness from memory.

B1ack_Mi16
yes, about 25% or so in stiffness from memory.

Approx, it's (21/20)^4 = 21.5% stiffer

B1ack_Mi16

Got the beam tube sandblasted now, primed it with Owatrol oil which is supposed to seal it off nicely before I apply paint :)

CIMG1432.jpg

Then paint.

CIMG1457.jpg

CIMG1458.jpg

JeffR

Has anyone been able to confirm if the Partner/Berlingo rear ARB will fit the 405 suspension?

We now get the Partner in Oz & local dealer has the arb listed (5170 A1).

Fingers crossed....

Thanks

ATLEG
Has anyone been able to confirm if the Partner/Berlingo rear ARB will fit the 405 suspension?

We now get the Partner in Oz & local dealer has the arb listed (5170 A1).

Fingers crossed....

Thanks

Yes I can confirm.

I had both a Partner ('97) and a 405 ('91) rear suspension (both in need of an overhaul) on my garage floor 2-3 years ago. measured the mounts and positions and concluded a Partner rear-susp would fit a 405, which later has been proven on at least to cars that I have seen myself. Then I took both suspensions apart and measured the bars - they are equal in length and have the same number of splines = they fit.

Toffer

I fitted a Berlingo rear beam to my 405 GLX last year. I had to use the rear mountings from the 405 because of the slighty thicker bolts connecting the mounts to chassi. Other than that, straight fit.

JeffR

Thanks ATLEG & Toffer-that's great news!

I'll contact all the wreckers & see if a 2nd hand one is available, if not the local stealer/dealer.

Edited by JeffR

rodionski

I just made a little research on how firm can one get the ride to be with upgrading a 405 Mi16 and here is what i found re the rear torsion bars and stabilizer bar:

23.5mm rear torsion bars can be installed from peugeot partner/citroen berlingo: the Peugeot part numbers are 5150 63 and 5150 66

21mm rear stabilizer bar can be installed also from peugeot partner/citroen berlingo: the Peugeot part number is 5170 A1

p.s. Also, a 23mm front stabilizer bar can be installed from peugeot 405 T16: the Peugeot part number is 5081 72.

Hope this is helpful.

welshpug
I just made a little research on how firm can one get the ride to be with upgrading a 405 Mi16 and here is what i found re the rear torsion bars and stabilizer bar:

23.5mm rear torsion bars can be installed from peugeot partner/citroen berlingo: the Peugeot part numbers are 5150 63 and 5150 66

21mm rear stabilizer bar can be installed also from peugeot partner/citroen berlingo: the Peugeot part number is 5170 A1

p.s. Also, a 23mm front stabilizer bar can be installed from peugeot 405 T16: the Peugeot part number is 5081 72.

Hope this is helpful.

5150 63/66 are not 23.5mm they are 21.3mm.

rodionski

Hope this is helpful.

5150 63/66 are not 23.5mm they are 21.3mm.

Sorry mate, but you're wrong :-)

Info taken from official parts catalogue. Will also check the Peugeot service box tomorrow to be sure. :-)

welshpug

no YOU are wrong :P

I checked myself on servicebox......

405 T16 front ARB is No longer available either.

Edited by WELSHPUG

rodionski

Well, if you can vouch for about five types of setups for peugeot partner, two versions of the van, making about 12-15 different setups - then that's ok.

However until I've seen otherwise, I rest my case ;)

rodionski

And finally YOU are right - I double checked and arrived at 21,3mm not 23,5mm.. Sorry mate!

welshpug

the part numbers you quoted (5150 63/66) are 21.3mm there are no 23.5mm used, and yes I have checked.

partnertoprsionbars.jpg

only 3 rear suspension diagrams for the M49, shows the 600 and 800 van;s using the 21.3mm, all other variations on 20.5mm.

there are 12 versions of the M59 Partner van rear suspension setup, only the 800 uses the 21.3mm torsion bars, ALL the other vans use 20.5mm.

all 9 versions of the M59 Multispace Partner use 20.5mm torsion bars.

B9 Partner runs coil springs and non-independent suspension.

have I proved my point yet?

Edited by WELSHPUG

rodionski

Sure, I have already told you that you were right and I wasn't :P

B1ack_Mi16

23.5mm bars I'm talking about are from Peugeot Sport for 306 Gr. A setup.

However I'm still busy sorting out other issues on the new 405 so haven't done any more to the rear beam.

Put in a 2.1 TD engine now instead of 1.9 TD.

calvinhorse
the part numbers you quoted (5150 63/66) are 21.3mm there are no 23.5mm used, and yes I have checked.

partnertoprsionbars.jpg

only 3 rear suspension diagrams for the M49, shows the 600 and 800 van;s using the 21.3mm, all other variations on 20.5mm.

there are 12 versions of the M59 Partner van rear suspension setup, only the 800 uses the 21.3mm torsion bars, ALL the other vans use 20.5mm.

all 9 versions of the M59 Multispace Partner use 20.5mm torsion bars.

B9 Partner runs coil springs and non-independent suspension.

somebody has too much time on his hands

calvinhorse

so are all partner van rear beams the same? apart from anti roll bars?

Sign in to follow this