• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danrogers

Oh Dear........

danrogers

hi all, went for a drive earlier, pulled up and went to stick it in reverse, the revs went down when the clutch bit and the engine started sounded like it was running on 2 or 3. i turned it off and tryed to start with no success - something is definiately wrong with compression i think as the starter motor has never turned the engine over so freely. it also looks like a bit of oil has squirted out the dip stick. if im correct these symptoms mean a ring or a piston gone i think :angry: ?

any help or advice on what to do next would be greatly apprieciated

Jer309GTi

That certainly is possible :( I think the best thing is to do a compression test and then go from there. Doesnt sound good though...

Guest pugwash

What was/ is the state of the cam belt try removing the cover and check that you havent lost some teeth on the belt or it may be broken ,if se your lack of compresh is down to bent valves ,obviosly somthing you havnt budgeted for ,comeriserations .pugs

danrogers

ive just checked the cam belt its still on and still turning the cams when i turn it over. ive got a compression tester but it doesnt fit down the bloody plug holes on the pug! anyone recomend somewhere to buy one thats longer? cheers ppl

KRISKARRERA

What one have you got then? The Gunson one that most people end up with has quite a long shaft :lol:

danrogers

cant remember the name on it mate but its at least 15 years old! its got a kink so defo fiiting down there :(

danrogers

nice!! just discovered that it was only a lead! the spark wasnt getting to the cap it was jumping out the lead and earthing! well happy :)

calvinhorse

i love cheap easy fixxes! shame my mi doesnt have plug leads so i cant rule them out as the reason it runs like a bag of s*it!! well done!

cybernck
the spark wasnt getting to the cap it was jumping out the lead and earthing!

that's one hell of a spark if you're referring to the one in your avatar ;):P:lol:.

danrogers
i love cheap easy fixxes! shame my mi doesnt have plug leads so i cant rule them out as the reason it runs like a bag of s*it!! well done!

thats a shame mate, not the smoothest runners when they arent set up 100% are they :(

the spark wasnt getting to the cap it was jumping out the lead and earthing!

that's one hell of a spark if you're referring to the one in your avatar ;):P:lol:.

hahaha yeah ive mastered the art of earthing it through myself now :P

Sign in to follow this