• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Cooling Fan Wiring

Jer309GTi

Got a bit of a dilemma to wire up my cooling fans on the Mi...

My car is an early H reg (non AC), and I have put the engine and loom from my late J reg (AC loom) into it. Everything matched up the same apart from the cooling fan sensor. All I can find at the moment is I have a blue multiplug with 3 wires, 58J, 58C and an Earth. I think these wires go to the fans, but the wiring diagram I have in my Haynes doesnt list them and I need to take the rad out to trace them behind the fans.

Basically, I need to work out where the sensor is that switches the fans on, and how I would wire up the fans to the aforementioned blue plug. If possible I would like an over-ride switch in the dash, but thats not essential. I can solder and make decent connections just fine, its just working out circiuts gets my head in a spin lol.

Any help would be great :)

welshpug

if it has the 3 pin blue plug in the loom then It sounds like it should have a sensor in the rad to switch the fans on, just like the old loom.

later A/C cars (P2) have a system like the 306, where they use the brown bitron sensor and a control box to switch the fans and nothing in the rad.

Jer309GTi

Cheers for the reply :)

So this 3 pin blue plug just connects to a temp sensor in the rad and thats it? The rad is out the later car so there is no sensor but I can see a blanking plug.

The bitron sensor, is that the one under the thermostat housing? I have the loom plugged into that, so maybe I should disconnect it once the blue 3 pin plug has been connected?

welshpug

depends if you have transferred the whole front loom or just the engine loom, if its just the engine loom then youll need to swap the blanking plug ion the rad for the switch in the old rad and plug it into the blue plug.

yes the bitron sensor (brown) will be on the thermostat housing.

is the new engine still a 1.9?

KRISKARRERA

The earlier A/C 1.9s like mine also use the bitron sensor for the rad fans.

Jer309GTi

I swapped the engine loom to the later one. Yes it is still a 1.9. I think I might have one of those sensors in the garage from an old rad I had. Cheers :)

Sign in to follow this