• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
snave1345402286

Morning Idling

snave1345402286

Hi,

Since few days I noticed smthng not running normal in the morning when I start my engine. Earlier.. mean when I bought the car till I noticed this change these few days,when I put the start, the engine rev at 1500 rpm then come down to 1000rpm, It's normal because as cold it shud warm up, but now I start the engine this morning, it reve only at 700rpm.. have to wait 10 mins before it got it's normal temp.. sure it's not normal and sometimes it turn off by itself due to low rpm.. I think it's got something to do wiz an idling valve or something liike that? anyone can answer me please :):huh: so I won't be late at job in da morning . :P

DjB

Long warm up period could be a buggered thermostate...? But that wouldn't explain the low idle.... Check all the simple stuff first I reckon.

When I had my 205GTI, I always struggled with getting that to idle smoothly..

Chris

snave1345402286

I think must be a prob wiz the idling valve..

S@m

I had this problem, or something very similar at least, when i started on a cold day it would barely idle, i mean about 500rpm, on the very edge of stalling. All i did to solve it was take the ICV off, gave it a good clean out with petrol and an air gun, i happened to do all the breather hoses aswell while i was at it, but that was just for good measure, and from then on it was all good.

Accept for about a week later when my head gasket went and filled at the freshly cleaned breathers with mayo, doh! :angry:

cybernck

it could also be the coolant temperature sensor (blue connector on the side of the thermostat housing),

which would casue the engine to be overfueled and difficult to run, though it would also mean you'd

have problems starting it up in the first place.

snave1345402286
I had this problem, or something very similar at least, when i started on a cold day it would barely idle, i mean about 500rpm, on the very edge of stalling. All i did to solve it was take the ICV off, gave it a good clean out with petrol and an air gun, i happened to do all the breather hoses aswell while i was at it, but that was just for good measure, and from then on it was all good.

Accept for about a week later when my head gasket went and filled at the freshly cleaned breathers with mayo, doh!  :angry:

Hmm thnks Sam, please tell me what is the ICV ? where is it situated ? see the pic attached below I circle what I think is ICV

Jer309GTi

Thats the one :)

snave1345402286

thanks fir the confirmation Jer309gti but I thought it was an electronic device that can't be wash out.. cleaned etc.. can I go on with the cleaning ?

S@m

Dont worry about cleaning it out, i suppose it is an electronic device but all it does is allow air to bypass the butterfly to stop the car stalling, so drop it in a bucket of petrol, give it a scrub (along with the hoses that connect it to the inlet manifold), blow out any dirt, clean off the electrical connector on the side and the jobs sorted. Worked on mine anyway.

Sam

snave1345402286

Thanks mate !

Sign in to follow this