• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest P Zero

Head Gasket?

Guest P Zero

So I was out driving today (actually with someone who wanted to buy the car) and when we got back after a 5 mile drive from cold, the oil filler was full of mayo and the coolant was only luke warm. I think it was also smoking when it was cold, it stopped after 5 mins or so. Needless to say, I still have the car.

At first I thought the worst - head gasket. But could it be a failed thermostat?

Either way, I'm not in the habit of selling duff motors, so I need to get this sorted asap.

Edited by P Zero

pug309twin40s

mayo in pugs is normal on cold days especially when the car hasnt been driven far and warmed up properly.

does the car loose any water or oil??

check to see if theres any oilly residue in the expansion tank or any white stuff on end of dipstick.,

if you have a compression tester then do a compression test.

smoking is normal when cold unless its alot of smoke or blue smoke..

Guest P Zero

Yeah, all my pugs have had mayo in their oil caps at some point. I've never seen it on my Mi though.

The car deosnt lose any water or oil, theres no oily residue in the expansion tank or white stuff on the dipstick.

I dont have a compression tester, although one of my friends might have one. I'll try and borrow it.

It was very wet and foggy yesterday, perfect for making a car smoke when cold, even when warm.

I'm going to change the stat when it arrives anyway, and I'll flush the cooling system and see if anything nasty comes out.

Guest P Zero

Its not the headgasket :)

In fact theres no problem at all. There was an airlock in the cooling system which was preventing the water from circulating properly which explains the luke warm coolant. Probably my fault. I was in a bit of a rush to get it filled after refitting the coolant level sensor.

I drained, flushed and refilled the cooling system, being very careful to get all the air out. I ran the car for a bit as it says in the Haynes comic and I've got good pressure and nice hot water. There was no mayo in the oil filler and the coolant had no nasty scum in it either.

Jer309GTi

Thats a relief :)

You're still selling the car then?

Miles

Great buying point that if the owner doesn;t know about car's, Done that a few times now!!

Sign in to follow this