• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tony1345402284

Strange Gearbox/clutch Noise

Tony1345402284

My Mi16x4 is making a tapping sound when the clutch is disengaged. At this stage the noise is best described as a tapping rather than a grinding

However it only makes this noise when the car is moving and the clutch is disengaged to change gear. With the cluch engaged and driving there is no noise.

With the car stationary and engine running there are no strange noises regardless of clutch engaged or disengaged/in or out of gear or varying engine revs.

It is almost as if some endfloat has arisen somewhere in the driveline which is taken up by disengaging the clutch allowing contact somewhere when the car is moving.

The car had a new clutch about 20,000 miles ago.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Jer309GTi

Yeah, I would say a release bearing noise

Tony1345402284

No, not the release bearing - with the engine running and the car stationary in neutral there was no noise when the clutch was disengaged/engaged.

As I drove to work and then to seek professional advice the noise developed further to the point where I was sure that it was not an internal mechanical problem.

It turned out that the heat shield on the power steering ram had worked loose and moved. (The rack was out for new bushes a few months ago) Although we didn't actually see this happening we suspect that the clutch cable was moving when the pedal was pressed and touching the heat shield. The rubber boot which seals the clutch cable to the bulkhead had come loose which may hace contributed to this.

Reposition the heat shield, replace the cable boot, and fit a cable tie to keep the clutch cable well out of the way and harmony is restored.

Half an hours labour was a bargin.

As my mechanic said - another one for the Peugeot X Files!

Tony

Footnote

In a corner of the workshop was an Mi16x4 which had sheared the splines in the transfer box. The owner is considering his options. Could be another one lost!

Sign in to follow this