• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest P Zero

Managed To Shear A Strut Top Bolt

Guest P Zero

After I got the Mi back from the garage the other day after some suspension work, there was still quite a lot of knocking around the front end. I decided to torque up the strut top nuts but I've managed to shear one of the studs.

Can these be replaced individually or does the whole strut top plate have to be replaced?

Guest serrento405
After I got the Mi back from the garage the other day after some suspension work, there was still quite a lot of knocking around the front end. I decided to torque up the strut top nuts but I've managed to shear one of the studs.

Can these be replaced individually or does the whole strut top plate have to be replaced?

They are spot welded to the strut top plate so would need to replace but you can drill the old stud out and weld captive bolt back in I say captive as leaving it loose and trying to get it to stay there and tighten it would be a nightmare :mellow:

welshpug

you could remove the remains and nut n bolt it.

Guest P Zero
you could remove the remains and nut n bolt it.

I stuck it in the garage this morning. Got a 250 mile drive tomorrow followed by a week of middle of nowhereness. It was the easiest thing to do.

Sign in to follow this