• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danrogers

Damp?

danrogers

i used my mi this morning and it started fine, got up the road and it wouldnt idle and kept cutting out, when it did i was struggling to start it again it was just turning over but not firing and occasionally the exhaust would pop. Im wondering if something has got damp as i havnt used it in a week? Has anyone experienced similar problems?

S@m

I have had this same problem, on a few occasions, including this very morning in fact. After driving about 5 miles i decided to stop at a petrol station for a pack of fags and she wouldnt restart, so i popped the bonnet and made sure all the usual connections were secure, lo and behold the dodgy brown multiplug on the coil didnt seem quite right, so i cleaned it all out and checked the connections of the wires into the back of it and after a bit of swearing she started fine. I suspect its a matter of time before i come across this problem again. You've probably tried this already but thought id suggest it.

Sam

Jer309GTi

Does sound like damp, definately. Time to get the WD40 out! :)

danrogers

yeah i think it was the dreaded damp, i pulled off the leads from the cap and gave them a good old spraying with the old wd40 which seems to have done the trick, hopefully we wont have to many more damp mornings/nights!!

ryan13961345402285

Check that there is no condensation dripping and gathering under the spark plug cover too. When mine was parked up for a few weeks this was full of water on my car

Jer309GTi

Unfortunately we'll be having a few more damp mornings from now on :( I hate winter....

danrogers

yeah it happened again this morning, such a nightmare because it runs fine untill i get 10 mins up the road then the dam thing starts cutting out in traffic!! is there anything anyone does to try n keep the dampness out?

Feeble

Have you changed the ignition amplifier?

danrogers

no good idea, where can i find this on the car? ive had problems with it starting aswell (take a few slow turns b4 it starts) could they be linked? cheers for ur help guys

Feeble

I'm certainly no expert with engines... But on my old 405, it used to cut out sometimes when I was sitting at traffic lights. It would turn over and over, but never start again until the engine cooled down. In the end I got the AA out and they told me to replace the ignition amplifier, and after that it was as good as ever...

If my memory serves me correctly, the ignition amplifier is bolted to the battery housing... :)

KRISKARRERA

Yeah that is correct. Downside is that the genuine Bosch ignition amps are the best and they're not cheap. I would methodically go thru everything. Been thru any deep puddles recently?

danrogers

not really been through any puddles as such but the clutch was changed on a really wet day outside. tonight ive blown out the plug wells and given everything a coating in wd40, they didnt seem to be wet. i went ahead and took the cap off this is what i found....

http://www.shedbass.net/misc/03122007307_resize.jpg

that doesnt look like a healthy distributer cap does it lol? could that be giving me any problems? cheers guys

stuart.m

it certainly wont be helping your situation, id say a new cap is in order! as for the ignition amplifier, they are known to fail when they start to get hot so worth a try, get a new cap and rotor arm first anyway and see if it makes any difference.

KRISKARRERA

Hehe I've never seen a cap that bad! Well, apart from the ones that blew up.

danrogers

yeah i think its definiately in order lol!! how big is the carbon contact supposed to be? could anyone recommend a good peugeot parts stockist? a few people keep telling me about that German French & Swedish?

as for the ignition amp ill look into this how much are we talking approx for a new unit?

KRISKARRERA

I was lucky enough to pick up a genuine cap and arm on ebay for only £16 but it's rare for them to go that cheap. At one point it was about £50 for bother items from either GSF or EuroCarParts. From the main dealer it's £98. Yes, exactly. I think there's some place even cheaper than GSF and ECPs but can't remember where. Was discussed on the 205 forum. Main stealer is £82 for the ignition amp. I don't know if a Bosch parts place would still supply it but chances are it'd be cheaper than Pug. But it's your cap that's causin the problem.

Here's a pic of a new cap, sorry you can't see the sticky outty bit but it does stick out about 500000% more than yours lol

What's your base plate like?

post-2-134540328265_thumb.jpg

danrogers

yeah that looks a awful lot different to mine mate! ill do some hunting around then cheers for the info. haha main stealer!! couldnt agree more. ill try find a bosch place when/if the time comes for the amp then.

when u say base plate im guessing u mean the plastic shaped like the cap that it kinda sits into on the head? if im correct and i can remember it wasnt to bad maybe a crack? the cap has a couple of cracks around the bolt holes

KRISKARRERA

Hehe I was just checking you had that plate. That cap in my pic is the genuine one made by "ducellier" and yours looks like the beru cap.

danrogers

ive just been looking on the gsf site and they are around £20 each (rotor/cap) ill probably just go with that as it says they are ducellier, genuine sounds good too me mate :)

i mentioned in another thread that my car jitters at very low speed when the clutch it biting as if it wants too stall, would you put that down to my cap problem or something else? cheers bro

KRISKARRERA

Maybe, that knackered cap certainly wouldn't help. Do you mean when you are in first gear crawling along in traffic at walking pace?

danrogers

yeah pretty much mate, more so when parking at very low speeds etc

danrogers

i stuck a new cap and arm in and its sorted... i hope... lol cheers for the advice as allways

Sign in to follow this