• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy

Whats The Differncnce Between...

Sloppy

after some research the general opinion seem to be that gti6 and s16 cranks are the same (people say trhe same part number) and also blocks are similar if not identical.

So whats the difference in gti6 rods to mi16/s16 ones and pistons ?

B1ack_Mi16
after some research the general opinion seem to be that gti6 and s16 cranks are the same (people say trhe same part number) and also blocks are similar if not identical.

So whats the difference in gti6 rods to mi16/s16 ones and pistons ?

XU10J4R/RS rods = 158mm long

XU10J4 rods = 152mm long

XU9J4 rods = 143mm long

So the XU10J4R/RS engines have shorter pistons to compensate for the longer rods compared to the XU10J4. XU9J4 shouldn't relly be compared as it's in the alloy block thats quite a bit shorter than the cast iron one.

Sloppy

ha ha so i guess this is better as the piston is lighter, so if i got a set of gti6 rods (and pistons) they would be fine in an s16 block insted of the s16 rods...

Edited by Sloppy

B1ack_Mi16
ha ha so i guess this is better as the piston is lighter, so if i got a set of gti6 rods (and pistons) they would be fine in an s16 block insted of the s16 rods...

Well yes, the compression ratio might change a little bit though, not sure if it'll get higher or lower though.

But most XU10 blocks I've opened up have been in need of rebore as they seem to wear quite a bit. So not sure it's a good idea if the compression ring on the XU10J4RS pistons sits further up than it did on the original ones. Anyway you should have it hooned and install new pistonrings it the block is fresh enough to not need a rebore.

Sloppy

yea not a bad idea was gonn fit new rings and shells etc. Just a sdpare engine i have that needs a new rod and crank so was weighng up ideas, would prob just be easyer to get a full gti bottom end maybe or whole engine!

Only problem i heard with that is the gti6 exhaust manifold fouling on the antriroll bar or is that the v6 conversion?

Edited by Sloppy

welshpug

naah I think that's the 6 gearbox not the exhaust :unsure:

Sign in to follow this