• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danrogers

Clutch Gone

danrogers

hi peeps, my clutch just started slipping at low'ish' revs, doesnt seem to bad yet but am i likely to cause any damage by driving it? also ive had a read in the book and it looks like a bastard job, anyone know much about it? got a price for a new kit at £60 but the garage wants £300 to fit (quoted for 6 hours)

Jer309GTi

6 hours! :o Can't imagine it would take half that long to do, although I've never timed myself doing one

KRISKARRERA

Miles isn't too far away but I don't think he's taking on any new customers now. I remember when I needed a clutch back in 2001 and my local main dealer had a special offer on - £189. I was lucky.

Miles

The clutch change is easy if everything comes apart OK, But you may find the Flywheel face may need facing off which all add's time onto the job and most garages wouldn;t even look at that and just slap the clutch kit on,

I would only use a Valeo one abit more expensive but are less likey to fail

Drop me a PM if your after a price on fitting

danrogers

hi there peeps, i managed to get a mate to do it for £180 which i didnt argue with lol. it seems lighter and easier on the gearchange although at low revs in traffic when feathering the clutch it doesnt feel that smooth and the car goes a bit jittery? the bloke who did the clutch tells me the syncros on the box are going, sounds like im going to need a new box?

danrogers

any advice anybody?

ryan13961345402285

If the car's a bit jittery it could be a dodgy engine mounting

danrogers

yeah mate could be a possibility but the engine seems to jitter slightly aswel? howmuch would a re-con box cost?

Sloppy

thats not syncros, iot will crunc on gear change if there screwed.

If its juddering the flycheels might have hot spots or be slightly un even.

Was it a brand new cluthc or remanufactured?

danrogers

it was a brand new clutch mate. could it be down to poor fitting or something?

Sloppy

you can get 'new' remanufactured clutches.

you cant really fit one wrong, i would say its a worn flywheel or it has some slightly hgigher spots on it, might just ware in but i find valeo (always spot on when fitted) clutches best i have a borg and bech one and it bites like yours.

Miles

It could well be the cross shaft as these always go rusty and when the box is off should be changed as they are only a few quid for the pair, This makes the operation nice and pprogressive and smooth.

Also flywheels these day's really need facing off as again these car's are all getting on abit now and would have had abuse in the past

If the syncro's are going it will crunch into gear and in all the year's I;ve been reconing boxes I rarely find a box with dead syncro's.

Sign in to follow this