• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mi16Lemans

My God It Stank

Mi16Lemans

Evening chaps..

...Another problem.?

Went out in the Mi this evening, and was on a straight bit of road for about 5-6 miles, not being too heavy with my right foot, I guess i was doing a steady 50-60, them my girlfriend said "god whats that smell.?) no I hadn't farted, it smelt like my cluch was on its way out, then it went away as I though I may of been resting my foot on the clutch pedal. SO I TOOK IT OFF, then about two minuets later it came back, when we got to where we wwere going, I got out of the car and the smell seemed to be comming from the off side front wheel, I bent down to put my nose to it and the whole wheel itself was just about touchable..!!!!!

in the past their has occasionaly been a revolving squeek from the pads on this wheel but over the past few days their has been a deep down rotating droaning/humming,, (I hope this makes sense)...

What am I looking at.? new caliper and pads.? new discs maybe.???

is a caliper and pads a diy job and what sort of caosts may be involved, over the years I've been known to dabble with spanners but i have never worken on brakes..

..Tony..

Jer309GTi

Sounds like the pads have seized in the caliper. Best thing to do would be to get a Haynes manual if you have never done a pad change before. It is pretty straight forward.

I would take out the pads, clean up the areas where the pad sits on the caliper, copper grease these areas and make sure it is all free and then try that. If the pads have got too hot however, you may need a new set

cammmy

I get a rotating squeek when I set off from cold now too. Maybe i'm destined for the same problem. Will take the wheel off and have a look at some point. Will you be able to see the pad touching the disc or should there be a noticable gap?

Jer309GTi

You won't really notice a gap. Easiest way is to take the car for a run and if one of the wheels feels hot to the touch then it is likely the brake is dragging (unless you just took it for a thrashing!), or just jack the car up and try rotating the wheels to see if there is any significant resistance to turning

Mi16Lemans

OK, I've just been out and jacked the drivers front wheel up and their is a lot of resistance, it takes both hands to turn the whhel and it doesn't spin/turn freely..

..I know this means that the pads have came away from the caliper but not returned.. whats makes the pad return.? is it a spring.? and whats the likleyness of the problem being solved if I just replace the pads..

..also are the front brakes the same on a 4x4 as a 2wd P1.? if so I guess theese will fit, but are they anygood.? is their any benifit or should I just go to good old Euro car parts arond the corner.?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...atchlink:top:uk

Jer309GTi

I'm pretty sure all Mi16s have the same front brakes.

As for what causes sticking, it is usually either the pads have corroded in place on the caliper or the sliders have seized. The 2 sliders are under the little rubber boots on the caliper. Take the rubber boots off, clean up the sliders and coat with high melting point grease then put back together.

When you fit new pads, make sure they are free to slide in the caliper, put a small amount of copper grease on the edge of the pad where it slides in the caliper, and make sure the sliding surface on the caliper is nice and clean.

Over on the 205 forum, they didn't rate the OMP pads when I asked about them before. Go with something like Mintex 1144's, or the Brembo pads + discs from GSF I have found to be good in my experience

KRISKARRERA

I had this on my first 405 and it turned out to be the caliper piston. This was 7 years ago when I knew less and before replacing the caliper I just kept replacing the pads. Went through 3 or 4 sets in a year! :lol:

Jer309GTi

Must have used loads of fuel with a brake dragging that badly?!

KRISKARRERA

I guess so, can't really remember. It was a January 1988 1.6 GL and I still managed nearly 120 out of it.

Miles

Anything OMP is normally poor quality, as with anything you get what you pay for, But for £30.00 even a set of factor pads will be about the same money so you can't really complain

The brakes by the sound of it just need a good clean up, As said the slider's (A rod into the carier) rust up as the boot split's along with the pad guides but all can be cleaned up with a file and Emery cloth

Sign in to follow this