• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLeMans831345402285

Track Rod Ends For Dummy's Please

JamesLeMans831345402285

I've source a set of brand new ends as one of mine was slighly corroded and got an advisory on the last MOT. How much of a job is this to do myself? and how do you set the tracking. Car pulls ever so slightly to the left atm which is the side where the corrosion is. Dont think this is causing it mind as it still looks solid enough to me. Is this guna be a whole lot easier just to get my local garage to look at? Parts only cost £15 so would be nice to get an uber cheap repair and do it myself. Also has anyone got a source for mintex (or other recomendations) pads and discs for the rear? Got the front lot for £30 a while ago and seem to do an excellent job but the current back set are grooved to buggery after it standing for a few years pretty sure this is what is causing the attrocious squealign I'm getting atm. I've seen em on ebay but for £50+ which is no use seeing as I only paid £30 for the front!

AlexN

Track rod ends are easy to do, all you need is a ball joint splitter (a big fork shaped lump of metal that you whack in between the rod and the hub carrier or similar). These are pretty cheap to buy. If you knew the tracking was good you should count the number of threads up to the lock nut and replace the new one exactly as it was.

Tracking is more tricky and best left to a garage (unless anyone knows a good trick to doing it yourself?). Getting it laser aligned doesn't cost much, and it worth it to get it done properly.

Sign in to follow this