• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLeMans831345402285

Avac

JamesLeMans831345402285

Hello, as you may/may not know the 2 litre inlet manifold uses vacume wizardry to control inlet between a long and short intake route. Basically 2 diphragms are inflated/deflated dependant on vacume pressure/rpm.

Now I know this has been covered in some small detail but I wonder if anyone has a fault finding process/technique for the system. Mine is bust, the arms on the diaphragms dont move at all.

I have replaced the vacume tube from the manifold to the vacume chamber (which is just to the right hand side from the cylinder head) there is vacume here, now from the vacume chamber to the solenoid when I remove the pipe to check for pressure there is a noise of escaping air so it tells me there is pressure here, however if I leave it off I cannot feel pressure when I put my thumb over the top of the tube.. guess this is normal as the chamber releases air at certain psi? I have ordered a replacement solenoid as I cannot find any way to test it, (new one ordered from pug at 20 something quid)

Any ideas of what I should be looking at in the mean time? I have also broken the hose attatchment on one of the diapragms, these are ridiculously brittle. That p***ed me off goodstlye, any tips for repairing? rather not superglue it back!

Also on the solenoid, there appears to be three in/output pipes, two on oneside like a half t shap and one the other, there where onyl two pipes connected. I am pretty sure it is the solenoid at fault as the engine management light stay on for a good 5-6 seconds on ignition.

And help is appreciated as low/mid range power is cack without this working.

James

Guest turbolag

The diaphragms can still be had new from Peugeot, about £30. I have heard of people drilling out the old stubs and gluing in a short length of metat tube to make a new stub.

Faults that are not cased by knackered diaphragms or vacuum leaks ar emore often than not the fault of the solenoid. What does the system do if you tweak the revs with the bonnet up - can you see the linkages moving?

JamesLeMans831345402285
The diaphragms can still be had new from Peugeot, about £30.  I have heard of people drilling out the old stubs and gluing in a short length of metat tube to make a new stub.

Faults that are not cased by knackered diaphragms or vacuum leaks ar emore often than not the fault of the solenoid.  What does the system do if you tweak the revs with the bonnet up - can you see the linkages moving?

Neither of the arms move on the diphragms, so I guess that leaves either no pressure building up ie vacume chambers bust, because there is pressure at the inlet or the solenoids bust.

How do I know if the vacume chambers working or does the solenoid control how it works? Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid lol.

stuart.m

you cant test the solenoid. unplug it and get a multimeter across the two pins on the solenoid, should be 50 ohms resistance, or there abouts. and with the ignition on, there should be battery voltage coming through the plug for the solenoid.

I had the same thing on mine just a month or two ago, solenoid was duff, £20-odd quid to peugeot and all was well again. Does the engine management light ever come on ('k-light')? If the solenoid is properly knackered the ecu will pick this up and log a fault code, and the light will come on. Generally if you were driving along at about constat 3k-4k revs, motorway driving, the light would come on. Although, I changed the inlet anyway so the solenoid is now redundant. so if you hadnt ordered one would have sent you it cheap. least it aint expensive anyway.

Edited by stuartm

JamesLeMans831345402285
you cant test the solenoid. unplug it and get a multimeter across the two pins on the solenoid, should be 50 ohms resistance, or there abouts. and with the ignition on, there should be battery voltage coming through the plug for the solenoid.

I had the same thing on mine just a month or two ago, solenoid was duff, £20-odd quid to peugeot and all was well again. Does the engine management light ever come on ('k-light')? If the solenoid is properly knackered the ecu will pick this up and log a fault code, and the light will come on. Generally if you were driving along at about constat 3k-4k revs, motorway driving, the light would come on. Although, I changed the inlet anyway so the solenoid is now redundant. so if you hadnt ordered one would have sent you it cheap. least it aint expensive anyway.

Yup the light stays on for 5-6 secs on ignition, i did say that ;) Thanks tho, looks like it should be sorted on thursday with tthe part. If you no longer need them (you changed to the -6 manifold right?) would you be interested offloading the diaphrams as I've slightly bust one with my meddling :rolleyes:

stuart.m
Yup the light stays on for 5-6 secs on ignition, i did say that  ;) Thanks tho, looks like it should be sorted on thursday with tthe part. If you no longer need them (you changed to the -6 manifold right?) would you be interested offloading the diaphrams as I've slightly bust one with my meddling  :rolleyes:

sorry binned them :(

JamesLeMans831345402285

Fixed :) solenoid replaced and working a treat, make a noticeable difference in 1st gear but elsewhere not so much, diaphragm fixed with super glue too ha. Seriously tho any one with spares let me know.

Cheers,

Sign in to follow this