• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Super Unleaded

Jer309GTi

Up until lately I have been running my Mi on standard unleaded as I have been skint :rolleyes:, but now I've had a payrise I have started feeding it on V-Power as thats what my local garage sells.

Is V-power one of those 98 RON fuels, or is it just a normal 97? And would it actually make a difference in performance on a 1.9 Mi going from standard U/L to V-Power? The car doesn't seem to bog down quite so much when pulling away, seems like it has a bit more torque. Or is just the fact the weather is colder (denser air) just lately and giving it a bit more oomph.

I can't imagine putting in the higher octane fuel can make that much difference on an ECU controlled car where you can't adjust the timing, or can it? :huh:

ryan13961345402285

Depends if the car has a knock sensor or not

KRISKARRERA

Officially if you have a pre 1991 H reg, i.e without the knock sensor you should use no less than 97 ron because the mapping was done with 97 leaded but they do seem to tolerate 95 ron.

I thought V power was 99 or even 100 ron. It's good stuff I run mine on it permanently.

Jer309GTi

Mine has a knock sensor....

petert1345402284

I upgraded my Mi16x4 from Motronic 4.1 to 1.3 and I was quite surprised at difference in low-mid range torque when using 98.

We have two versions of V Power:

V Power - 98 octane

V Power Racing - 100 octane (by addition of 5% ethanol)

welshpug

I run my P2 on Vpower as much as I can, barrign that its always on super.

dont forget to do a few tankfulls then an ECU re-set to make the most of the stuff (if you have a knock sensor that is)

Jer309GTi
I run my P2 on Vpower as much as I can, barrign that its always on super.

dont forget to do a few tankfulls then an ECU re-set to make the most of the stuff (if you have a knock sensor that is)

I remember reading something about that on the 205 forum. You just disconnect the battery to reset the ECU don't you?

KRISKARRERA

I disagree with that though, the knock sensor is constantly detecting, it doesn't need a battery reset to suddenly make it come into life.

Jer309GTi
I disagree with that though, the knock sensor is constantly detecting, it doesn't need a battery reset to suddenly make it come into life.

Makes sense to me what you're saying, I'll do it a bit more research methinks :)

KRISKARRERA

Well it's just on ecus this old I'm not sure the ecu memorises the timing because it just continually advances the timing til knock is detected and then takes it back a smidgen. Or something. Peter will know as usual lol. Actually I've got my engine management book so I might look this up. Funnily enough on some Vauxhalls that ran ML4.1 without the knock sensor they had a socket where you could plug in a resistor according to what octane fuel you are using.

welshpug

youre nearly right kriss, when you do an ecu re-set the ecu finds the max advance point then brings it back a bit then runs it at that setting, unless the engine knocks.

trouble is when you change to a higher octane the ECU will still be running the advance for 95, re-set the ecu and you'll get a better advance setting.

These ecu's arent THAT old, and more modern ECU's dont do anything different! (they're just smaller, lighter and have more junk incorporated)

Jer309GTi

Thanks Welshpug :)

Been reading up on V-Power HERE and it seems it is 99 RON :D

Feeble

I use it all the time. It's not bad for the car is it? :unsure:

welshpug

nope, its good for them.

petespug405mi16

switched to running my 4bie on normal umleaded as i have found its chucking more fuel in than it should lol hada mate driving behind me and when i put my foot down he said he could smell petrol could be the reason its not idling its flooding itself

welshpug

nah pete its just that your electric are fooked!

Sign in to follow this