• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petespug405mi16

Help Car Idles For A Bit Then Cuts Out

petespug405mi16

right got this dam annoying problem with my 405 mi16 x4 runs fine until you come to stop and it idles for a bit then cuts out and also since replacing my coolant the temp gage wont work and rad fans have gone a bit mental coming on all the time with engine running or going on and off by them selves even with engine not running on 3rd click

petespug405mi16

anyone ? think ive got the temp gauge sorted as it looks i was given the wrong sensor by the parts place

Baz

You say you replaced the coolant? Just a thought, but did you bleed the system properly? There may be an air lock somewhere stopping the coolant circulating properly so getting hotter in places, making the fans cut in and out prematurely and randomly, is the thermo-switch ok?

petespug405mi16
You say you replaced the coolant? Just a thought, but did you bleed the system properly? There may be an air lock somewhere stopping the coolant circulating properly so getting hotter in places, making the fans cut in and out prematurely and randomly, is the thermo-switch ok?

well going to replace the thermo switch as it looks to be leaking defo no air locks as blower blows hot air. and then to poke around and see if i can find anything that would cause the car to cut out on idle think its idling to low

Baz

May be stating the obvious but clean out the ICV with some barake/carb cleaner and the pipes for it too, may help a little.

petespug405mi16
May be stating the obvious but clean out the ICV with some barake/carb cleaner and the pipes for it too, may help a little.

tried that and still no difrence hmmm i think the exhaust manidfold might be blowing wonder if thats causing the problem?

Guest pugmt

When you come to a stop and the vehicle cuts out, is it hard to restart and does it smell of fuel when restarting after cutting out?

I have a feeling you may have to seperate problems, 1 being the cutting out and the other the cooling fans.

i think you would be wise also to check the cooling fan relays behind the front grill, there are 3 of them and are very prone to corroding (green deposits around the terminals), these could be causing a short which is messing the cooling fan operation up.

petespug405mi16
When you come to a stop and the vehicle cuts out, is it hard to restart and does it smell of fuel when restarting after cutting out?

I have a feeling you may have to seperate problems, 1 being the cutting out and the other the cooling fans.

i think you would be wise also to check the cooling fan relays behind the front grill, there are 3 of them and are very prone to corroding (green deposits around the terminals), these could be causing a short which is messing the cooling fan operation up.

yup got 2 probs the fans thing is the latest problem. you are correct though in saying that when the engine cuts out it is hard to start and does smell of fuel after restarting

Guest pugmt

Look at the coolant temp sensor on the cylinder head for the engine management system, Check to see if the connector securing clip is present and that the connector is intact. also get the vehicle idling (ticking over) and wobble the wires to that sensor it is the one with the blue plug near the thermostat housing (just a little way behind). I had one doing this at work some years ago and it was the wiring to that plug (was broken inside the insulation so just looking at the wires wont help). The one i had when you touched/pulled the wiring to the sensor it would cut out and then was difficult to start as it puts the car into cold start mode as it were.

hope this helps....

petespug405mi16
Look at the coolant temp sensor on the cylinder head for the engine management system, Check to see if the connector securing clip is present and that the connector is intact. also get the vehicle idling (ticking over) and wobble the wires to that sensor it is the one with the blue plug near the thermostat housing (just a little way behind). I had one doing this at work some years ago and it was the wiring to that plug (was broken inside the insulation so just looking at the wires wont help). The one i had when you touched/pulled the wiring to the sensor it would cut out and then was difficult to start as it puts the car into cold start mode as it were.

hope this helps....

right tried that the securing clip isnt there but conecter is on ok wiggled the wire and it made no difrence sat with the car idling and it was idling then seems to hunt then picks up again it did this twice then 3rd time it cut out

Guest pugmt

ok, so seem like it is not the coolant sensor then, still sounds like the car is over fueling at idle. Does the car give any fault codes from the engine management system?

you can check this with a peice of wire:

Firstly locate the 2 pin black connector (inside the black plastic box just above the drivers side engine mount)

Put one end of the wire into the terminal of the black connector.

Take the other end of the wire and sit in the drives seat of the car.

Turn on the ignition and wait till the engine management light stops doing its thing (about 30 secs)

Touch the wire to earct for about 1 second

(the warning light will go out and then begin to flash, you need to count the flashes)

1 flash is a 1

1 flash a short pause and 2 flashes is code 12

3 flashes and a pause and 1 flash is code 31

you get the picture.

so the start of sequence is code 12 and the end of sequence is code 11 any thing in between is a fault code

After each code the light will illuminate one illuminated touch the wire to earch for about a second to get the next code. the first code you will get is 12 and the last is 11.

try this, if you get any codes let me know and i will tell you what they mean.

Sign in to follow this