• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest piran21

Cooling Issue

Guest piran21

I have a weird problem with the car overheating. The temperature goes way up and then coolant leaks out of the top of the radiator and somewhere else on the rh side of the motor.

Does anyone have any cooling system diagrams or something to help me diagnose the cause? Perhaps the Workshop manual in electronic form? Haynes or Peugeot anything will be helpful at this point.

Thanks,

Piran

cybernck

maybe you've got a blockage somewhere?

or it could be a leaking water pump (rhs of the engine).

ryan13961345402285

Could be a head gasket or some porosity in the head causing the coolant to pressurise therefore causing the radiator cap to do its job and release the pressure. My old 405 STDT did exactly the same thing

Guest piran21

Would a coolant system flush help out?

Guest piran21

Could it also be air entering the system causing this? I may have a cracked coolant distribution block in the rear side of the motor.

Jer309GTi

Air enering the sytem and causing an air lock could cause overheating, yes

Baz

If it's a plastic distribution block, could be quite likely that it's cracked.

Guest piran21

how difficult is the job of replacing that distribution block? I'm pretty sure that it may be cracked. Anyone have pictures or a DIY for it?

Jer309GTi

Not too difficult really. The only real trouble you may have is if the jubilee clips are seized.

You need to undo the clips for the pipes (can't remember how many exactly), and then take off the pipes noting where they came from. Then undo the distribution block from the engine (2 allen key bolts from memory). There is an o-ring which you should replace if it has gone hard/broken.

I haven't got a scanner otherwise I'd scan in some pictures of the Haynes manual for you.

Can anyone help on the pics?

Feeble

It's quite an easy job. Just need to get the car up on axle stands, take the wheel off and like Jer said, just undo the hoses and take the block off by undoing two bolts.

The hardest part is getting the hoses off. On my car it had them silly 'single use' clip things. Murder to get off, that's how I cracked my inlet tank... :P

Anyway, if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can! :lol:

Jer309GTi
It's quite an easy job. Just need to get the car up on axle stands, take the wheel off and like Jer said, just undo the hoses and take the block off by undoing two bolts.

The hardest part is getting the hoses off. On my car it had them silly 'single use' clip things. Murder to get off, that's how I cracked my inlet tank... :P

Anyway, if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can! :lol:

Yep, those single use clips are a nightmare!

Baz

I hate those clips, i usualy resort to a sharp screwdriver or a jr hacksaw if space permits! Replace them with decent proper jubilee's! :D

It's a pretty easy job overall, i can get some pics of the back of the engine and the tank/dist. block if ou still need?

Feeble

I took the inlet tank off to make getting the clips off easier and STILL maganed to crack the whole thing! :lol:

Guest piran21

Yeah pics would be helpful! I'm gonna attempt it this weekend. What do jubilee clips look like? I'm sure they're just called something else here. What size clips would i need to replace the single-use clips? Would I need any new clamps? If so, what size(diameter) clamps would i need?

Jer309GTi

Jubilee clips look like this:

jubilee-clip.jpg

The best way I found to buy these is get a big multibag of all different sizes, that way you know you'll have one that fits. It always pays to fit new clamps, they're so cheap it doesn't make sense to reuse old rusty ones, and you know they will come undone easily next time you have to undo them :)

Guest piran21

They call them hose clamps in N.A. Ok... any pics of the job at hand?

Baz

Here you go;

here's what i think yours will look like;

DSC00171-1.jpg

Here's where it goes on the back of the block (in place of the metal version though);

DSC00170-1.jpg

:)

Guest piran21

I crept under the car today. Doesn't seem as easy as I thought. Especially that i have limited room since the car is on jack stands. Not much room in that area with the subframe in the way. What's the best approach for this? What size are those hex bolts?

Jer309GTi

Hex bolts are 6mm I think. You can try going in through the wheelarch to see if you can access it any better

Baz

And perhaps disconnect the lower engine mount to swing the engine round a bit for more clearance?

Sign in to follow this