• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Feeble

Rocer Cover Problem...

Feeble

I changed my rocker cover today, but reused the old gasket as it looked in good condition.

When I started the car up, every so often a cloud of smoke would come up as oil from somewhere burned. One time I saw a flame behind the rocker cover so turned the engine off...

Would you say that this was because I didn't get a new gasket? We used Universal Blue to seal the gasket, but I suppose it could still be the problem, right? :)

welshpug

yes, and IIRC you need to leave the sealant stuff for quite a while to let it cure.

Jer309GTi

Yep, is the gasket not sealing properly. Had the same problem with mine, thought I could get away with reusing the gasket, but turns out it leaks like hell and smokes and stinks when the exhaust burns off the oil

Feeble

Well that's reassuring. So I just need to buy a new gasket, seal it with the Universal Blue, leave it for a while then refit it? :)

Awesome! ^_^

Jer309GTi

I wouldn't have thought that you would need sealant if using a new gasket? But suppose it can't hurt

Guest badboyracer3500
Well that's reassuring. So I just need to buy a new gasket, seal it with the Universal Blue, leave it for a while then refit it? :)

Awesome! ^_^

never used sealant when i put new gasket on.

Sign in to follow this