• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Ball Joints

Jer309GTi

I'm going to change both ball joints soon, and was wondering where is a good (cheap) place to get the 4 pronged remover tool. I've seen some on eBay, but £30 seems a little excessive to me for a small tool like that.

BTW I've tried getting a chisel into the notches and hitting it round, didn't do anything apart from burr the metal.

Also, are the heatshield things worth refitting? I destroyed mine trying to get them off of the hub as they were well rusted on. Guess they would be a Pug only part?

Jer309GTi

Ah ha! I thought that was a rip off. £6.40 for a proper Sealey one: Link!

If anyone knows whether those heatshields do anything, or where to get them can they post and let me know please

JOHN89MI16

I dont know if the shields do much but what i do know is that i bought a 4 pronged socket to fit over the ball joints from my local motor factor which only cost 5 quid and it didnt budge the ball joint at all.

I hammered away and chiseled away and still nothing happened.

In the end i got the gas bottles on it to warm up the surrounding metal and it just unscrewed the ball joint with ease.

Good luck with it mate. :)

Jer309GTi

Oh dear! Better get another can of gas for the blow torch then...

welshpug

take the hub off and get a garage to rattle gun it off, tis what I did with mine.

either that or a BIG vice and a BIG pole.

I wouldnt go heating it up as you risk damaging the hub bearing.

those shields are a good idea to keep, but are only available from peugeot.

Edited by WELSHPUG

Jer309GTi

I've got a compressor and gun in my garage so I'll take the hub off and whack it in the vice. I'll get a price for those shields, but knowing Pug they are probably a fiver each or something stupid like that :rolleyes:

welshpug

I think you arent far off mate!

Sign in to follow this