• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JOHN89MI16

Air Conditioning Gases

JOHN89MI16

This may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if i can refill my air conditioning up using r134 gas?

I have a phase 1 1990 mi16 that had the old gas in (r36 i think its called) and my mate said that if you change the O ring seals and fill it up with the new style gas it should work.

Is he correct or do i have to do some drastic changes to make it work?

With the hot weather coming up and the fact i sit in alot of traffic everyday, i want to be nice and cool but at the moment the air con doesnt work.

Any help would be great. Thanks

triple_a_motorsport

You need to change all the rubber components and the drier whilst you at it but other than that there should be no problems. The reason for changing the rubbers to the new type is that the newer gas 'eats' away at the old style rubbers. Hope thats some help.

Ryan

You'll need to change all the rubber O-rings, and get a new drier canister as the old one will be contaminated with the old gas.

Ideally you should also drain the compressor oil and refill with a different type, and change the pressure switch on the drier as the different gasses operate at different pressures.

It might be easier to ask about alternative replacement gases, as there are a few which a straight swaps for the old gas and don't need anything changing.

JOHN89MI16

Thanks for the info. Now i know what im getting into it doesnt sound like a difficult job at all.

Im only used to fixing air con with the new gas and i wasnt sure if older cars could be updated due to me not having to deal with many cars that have the old gas in them. Thanks alot. :)

Sign in to follow this