• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Feeble

Electric Aerial

Feeble

Does anyone know anything about the electric aerial?

Mine has spped working since I've put in a new stereo, and I want it back! :(

I suspect the problem is to do with a rabbit job the previous owner did to the car. He wired in a switch so that he could make the aerial go down when the stereo was on, but not using the radio.

When I changed the stereo, the only extra things that I didn't know what they were, were two small blue wires. These are now terminated and sitting doing nothing. The switch doesn't work any more either.

If anyone can actually understand what I am trying to say then any and all help will be appreciated! :) Thanks

Jer309GTi

The blue wire is a power signal for the electric aerial. It sends a feed to the aerial when the radio is on. Same way as an amp gets a signal to turn it on when the radio is on. Try and find which blue wire goes to the aerial and leave the switch disconnected for now, then when the aerial works you could wire the switch back in if you need it :)

Feeble

So you think I should disconnect the switch completely? The aerial doean't work at all at the moment! :(

Jer309GTi

I just thought it would be easier to get the wiring sorted for the aerial first, without the switch wiring complicating matters. The switch sounds like a good idea though, I think I'll put one one the ever growing 'to-do' list :)

Feeble

The thing is though, if I disconnect the switch I have no idea what to do with the wires? Just leave them disconnected? Should I leave the two wires in the stereo area disconnected as well? :)

Guest badboyracer3500
The thing is though, if I disconnect the switch I have no idea what to do with the wires? Just leave them disconnected? Should I leave the two wires in the stereo area disconnected as well? :)

What make of stereo is it?

If we know the make we could look in our instruction books and hopefully sort this out quickly instead of guessing.

If its Kenwood i have at least 4 books in my loft.

Gavin.

zowow

is there only electric aerials on p1's?

Jer309GTi
is there only electric aerials on p1's?

Yeah because the phase 2 had the flexible aerial on the roof.

Better idea IMO. Never been a fan of the metal retractable aerial, electric or otherwise

KRISKARRERA

Confusingly Kristians 1990 405 Mi16 has the roof aerial.

B1ack_Mi16
Confusingly Kristians 1990 405 Mi16 has the roof aerial.

Definately, my dads 1988 405 GTi also had it on the roof like my Mi16.

Think that's what's standard.

KRISKARRERA

You lucky Nowegian dudes!

(A 405 GTi?? seriously!?)

B1ack_Mi16
You lucky Nowegian dudes!

(A 405 GTi?? seriously!?)

GRi of course :)

Jer309GTi

Interesting. Do the Phase 1's with roof aerials have sunroofs? Just trying to work out why they would be different.

Its good news anyway, think I'll get a roof mounted aerial for mine and do away with the one on the boot

KRISKARRERA

How you gonna fit that Jer?

I've got a spare leccy aerial if anyone needs one.

Jer309GTi

Get the drill out Kris ;) lol. If I do it (not for a while as the to-do-list is HUGE), then I'll take out the boot aerial, fill the hole and get it sprayed, drill a hole in the roof and use a 205 or 306 aerial cable and base/mast. Probably go for the 306 as they are wider so cable should be longer. So many things to do, so little time... :)

But, in the meantime I think I might have that spare aerial off you if its all working ok (mines snapped off). I'll PM you mate :)

Feeble

Umm... Well about my stereo! It's an Alpine CD player, and I dont know what the original one was... Unfortunately I left it in my last car when I scrapped it! :(

Jer309GTi

Right, just looked up an alpine fitting guide on tinternet. There is a blue wire coming from the back of the stereo. Locate the switched wire to the aerial using a multimeter to check for continuity, it should be one of the blue wires you described coming from the switch. Connect the blue wire from the stereo to this wire from the aerial and the aerial should work.

Are there any numbers on the wires around the switch? Or can you post a pic of said wires so we can try and make sense of the wiring?

The model number should be on the stereo face somewhere, if not whip out the unit and it should be on a sticker somewhere

Edited by Jer309GTi

Sign in to follow this