• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Fitting Roof Bars

Jer309GTi

My 405 came with some roof bars, to allow you to carry stuff on the roof (obviously :huh:). I went to fit them today, but the holes that the bolts thread into in the roof still have stickers on, covering them up so the bars haven't been used. What I was wondering is if I take off these stickers and fit the bars, is water likely to enter the car through these holes when I take them back off again, or are the holes sealed off from the cabin?

The stickers covering the holes:

image041px4.th.jpg

And the cut-outs in the door seal to allow the bolts to go through:

image042hu6.th.jpg

I thought that if the holes would allow water to enter the cabin, then when the bars arent on the roof I could put the bolts back into the threads in the roof with some PTFE tape on to keep the water out?

(Sorry about the truly shocking quality of the pics, I had the shakes this morning when I took them due to alcohol consumption last night :rolleyes:)

pug309twin40s

nope water wont get into the cabin as im sure the holes are only threaded a certain depth and blocked at the end.

Best to when not using the roof bars to put tape over the holes so water doesnt get it and rust the holes.

Jer309GTi

Ok thanks mate :)

Guest badboyracer3500
My 405 came with some roof bars, to allow you to carry stuff on the roof (obviously  :huh:). I went to fit them today, but the holes that the bolts thread into in the roof still have stickers on, covering them up so the bars haven't been used. What I was wondering is if I take off these stickers and fit the bars, is water likely to enter the car through these holes when I take them back off again, or are the holes sealed off from the cabin?

The stickers covering the holes:

image041px4.th.jpg

And the cut-outs in the door seal to allow the bolts to go through:

image042hu6.th.jpg

I thought that if the holes would allow water to enter the cabin, then when the bars arent on the roof I could put the bolts back into the threads in the roof with some PTFE tape on to keep the water out?

(Sorry about the truly shocking quality of the pics, I had the shakes this morning when I took them due to alcohol consumption last night  :rolleyes:)

Water won't enter the cabin, i also put tape over the holes when not used.

Gavin.

Guest badboyracer3500

Water won't enter the cabin, i also put tape over the holes when not used.

Gavin.

just thought of this, when i went to fit my bars to my ph2, i found that the bolts that fit my ph1 didn't fit my ph2.

anyone else found this prob?? :blink::huh:

Sign in to follow this