• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Guide To Removing Alternator

Jer309GTi

I've figured out how to remove the alternator from a Phase 1 with the Bosch ABS without removing the inlet manifold, oil filter or ABS pump, so thought I might as well write a short guide on how to get it out.

Working from above the car, slacken the main 21mm bolt at the top of the alternator, and slacken the 13mm nut on the side of the adjuster, and the 13mm bolt that faces forward on the adjuster.

Wind the forward facing 13mm bolt right out, and remove the 13mm nut on the side and remove the adjuster assembly. Take the belt off of the pulley and push it down past pulley out of the way.

Wind out the 21mm bolt and remove it. The alternator should now be loose.

Position the alternator so you can remove the push-on connector and 10mm nut for the 12v wire.

Remove the bracket on the side of the ABS unit by undoing the two 10mm nuts and pulling away from the unit.

Bracket:

dscf0007dl3.th.jpg

The two threads on the ABS unit that the bracket bolts to:

dscf0006il1.th.jpg

Position the alternator so the pulley is facing down, and you should now have (just) enough room to get the alternator out between the inlet manifold and ABS unit. I found it easier to disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and tuck it out of the way.

In the words of Haynes, refitting is the reversal of removal :P

Sign in to follow this