• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest d4n2ymb

Mi16 Manual Transmission

Guest d4n2ymb

Hi,

Right know I drive 405 STI with XU10J2 engine and 5 speed manual transmission, I need some information about manual transmission from 405 MI16. I have read a brochure for 405 and on the specs sheet they stated that the MI16 have a close ratio 5 speed manual transmission. Is this true? :unsure:

Or may be just different gear ratio and final drive ratio than other non high performance 405? :unsure:

Is there any advantage by swapping my manual transmission with the unit from MI16? They should fit if I'm not mistaken ;)

Thank you :)

Jer309GTi

I'm guessing you have a phase 2 as you have a XU10 engine fitted. This means it has the pull-type clutch then, right? If so you will need the box from a phase 2 Mi with the pull type clutch also. A phase 1 box will not be a straight fit, but it is possible to modify it. As far as I'm aware the ratios on the phase 2 MI are identical to the phase 1, but don't quote me on that.

As far as ratios are concerened, they are closer ratios than the STi box. The final drive is different to allow quicker acceleration, with a longer top gear for motorway cruising. I'm not too sure on the exact ratios, but will look them up for you, if someone doesn't post them up before me. I know PeterT is very knowledgeable on gearbox ratios, I'm sure he will be able to give a more technical answer than I have.

petert1345402284

I think you'll find the 8V 405 manual boxes have the same ratios as an Mi16 (except for 1st), but have longer diff ratio. You can easily swap a box from a 2L Mi16 or S16, as the clutch set up is the same. Alternatively, convert your clutch to an early type then you'll have a greater range of gearboxes to choose from.

Guest d4n2ymb

Yup, I use the pull type clutch in my car. But isn't that all 405 used those set up? :huh: Because all 405 here use that kind off set up with 1 different, the old carburatted 1.9L and early 1.9 SRI use a different type off clutch cable (adjustable) while the 2.0L STI use non adjustable clutch cable (the adjustment can be done on the clutch pedal).

So by doing the gearbox swap with the MI16 unit, I can improve my acceleration right? B)

Thank you very much guys... :)

Sign in to follow this