• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest s13silvia

Upgrading Mi16 To 406 V6

Guest s13silvia

hi everyone, im new here from uk, and just bought a gorgeous Mi16..

it has the series 2 Mi16 2.0 and its pitifully slow :( It also looks a bit rough around the edges, the wiring is funny and has been out of the car before....

so im looking to replace,

it just so happens though I can get a 3.0 V6 with low miles for less than an Mi16 with high miles, so id be very tempted into the conversion!

what would I need outwith the engine for this conversion?

Kind regards

David

KRISKARRERA

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not qualified to answer your questions regarding V6 into the 405 but as I expect you know it's been done before so it's possible. Hilgie's got one in a 205. Maybe he can give advice. I'll PM him.

What about other engines like the GTI6?

Hilgie

Has been done before. Lots of space as well, but the same problems as putting it in a 205. Except for the driveshafts that don't need to be shortened.

128.jpg

129.jpg

welshpug

so the subframe needs modding to clear the gearbox and accept the lower mounting and a r/h upper mounting bracket needs fabricating.

splice in a wiring loom just like the 205 transplanters do with the Mi16's, and make up a downpipe to fit.

sounds easy!!

(p.s, sell the Mi16 engine on ebay, they go for ridiculous amounts you might even get enough to complete the project!!!)

Jer309GTi

Would you have to use the V6 driveshafts, and would these fit the 405 hubs? I too have thought about doing this conversion in the future

welshpug

they will fit, on a 205 the ABS rings needed to be machined off, but Like Hilgie mentioned, the 406 shafts are luckily the right length :D

Guest s13silvia

is that all thats needed?!?! can you run the mi16 ecu or are we talking the V6 ECU and loom, just spliced in to the already fantastic (sarcasm alert) electrics of the 405?

So I need engine mounts, loom, ECU, gearbox and driveshafts... and it should theoretically all just fit in nicely?! surely the V6 cant be any heavier than the castiron blocked mi16?! I was also contemplating a pre 1990 mi16 (alloy block 165bhp) but those will be alot more 'used' than a 70k V6

edit- its a damn shame what the owner did to the rest of that '405' :lol:

Edited by s13silvia

Jer309GTi

You would need the loom and ECU for the v6. Not sure if the v6 would have a keypad immobiliser that would need to be unlocked

Guest s13silvia

ok cool.... so really a breaking or smashed 406 is best... i need to find out weight difference but otherwize seems plain sailing... can someone confirm the shafts fit perfectly into the 405 hubs? mine already has very good brakes, assuming the weight of the block is similar no need for better brakes

Jer309GTi
ok cool.... so really a breaking or smashed 406 is best... i need to find out weight difference but otherwize seems plain sailing... can someone confirm the shafts fit perfectly into the 405 hubs? mine already has very good brakes, assuming the weight of the block is similar no need for better brakes

Reagarding getting hold of a smashed 406, that would definately be the way I would do it. You can remove the engine/box etc yourself, and see how everything goes together

KRISKARRERA

Putting the 1.9 Mi16 engine in is an option, and it would mean you could junk the catalyst but seeing as you can get a low mileage 3 litre V6 for less you might as well be daring and take the plunge.

Have you checked what the insurance premium would be?

Guest badboyracer3500

Putting the 1.9 Mi16 engine in is an option, and it would mean you could junk the catalyst but seeing as you can get a low mileage 3 litre V6 for less you might as well be daring and take the plunge.

Have you checked what the insurance premium would be?

sorry you are wrong about cat.

i've enquired at an MOT station before and was told if manufactured with cat it must have it at time of MOT regardless of what engine you fit.

Gavin.

KRISKARRERA

That's strange. It's been discussed alot over on the 205 forum and everyone agreed they'd judge the vehicle by what was oldest. But then again we're talking about people who've had a pre cat car fitted with a cat engine and I've yet to speak to anyone who's done the opposite i.e the original poster here.

Miles

No it doesn;t, But you need a letter from the manufacture stating what year the engine is, Can you imagine getting that from Pug....

triple_a_motorsport

i think the 406 engine as you can get hold of it cheap sounds a good choice, if you do get rid of your 2L let me know i could be interested!

Guest badboyracer3500

No it doesn;t, But you need a letter from the manufacture stating what year the engine is, Can you imagine getting that from Pug....

i'll go down MOT station tomorrow and ask again.

will let you all know 2morrow and apologies all round if i'm wrong. :unsure:

KRISKARRERA

:)http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.

e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )200ppm.

welshpug

so any news on this conversion? seen a few more v6 powered 205's adn It'd be and excellent way to asave an enginelsss Mi16, though it would need a new badge, Mi24 :D (not as good as Nikica's Mi32 though!!)

gingerscotsman

I always wanted to do this. Either in a 405 or a 309. Its taken me 5 years to get my old 405 to where it is just now and its nowhere near finished. Don't hold out much hope of doing something like this unfortunatly :( certainly not in the near future.

Still it would be an excellent way to save some of these poor engineless 405's that are so frequently being raped for thier engines. :)

cybernck

i've always fancied this as well! :)

unfortunately, newer V6 engines aren't as available or as cheap as in the UK though.

Guest turbolag

OK, so we know it goes in, with some sweaing and knuckle blood, and should give the car some extra shove. More to the point though, does anyone know how it affects the cars handling behaviour and roadholding? No point going for more if it delivers less, but if it makes no difference then...

KRISKARRERA

Hilgie put one into a 205 and I can't remember how much difference it made to handling but seeing as the 405 is heavier I don't reckon it would upset the handling much. Apparently the block is no heavier than the xu10!

welshpug

I agree there kriss, I dont think it would do much difference at all, and indeed the engine weighs no more then the iron block XU10, though I think the gearbox and shafts are somewhat tougher and heavier.

Sign in to follow this