• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tjp74

Tensioning The Timing Belt

Guest tjp74

What all you guys do to tension the timing/cam belt? Factory procedure calls for a special measurement tool (SEEM) to correctly set the tension of the belt. This tool is no longer available correct? There must be tens of thousands of XU9J4 engines running around worldwide and I belt someone is doing the belt change every given day if not every hour.

Is there a reliable alternative tool or method available? Or can I still buy the factory tool (SEEM) from peugeot? How much?

Thanks.

tj

pug309twin40s

u dont need a special tool to tension the belt.

all you need is to make sure the longer run down the front side can be twisted 1/4 of a turn.

Guest Oceansandmts

You can buy a universal belt tension tester from NAPA (got mine on Ebay) with instructions that will fit on the belt with the engine in the car and seems reliable. I am assuming that its TJ in the US who can get NAPA tools.

Stuey

Howdy guys

The tension measurement is specified as 45 degree twist on the long run, not 90 degrees (1/4 turn) like on some engines. I guess it's because the front run is fairly short.

Obviously it's also down to your strength...

Cheers

Stuey

Jer309GTi
Obviously it's also down to your strength...

Very true, it's a bit of a hit-and-miss method, but it seems to work!

welshpug

thing is on the mi16 and its twin tensioner setup surely an accurate setting needs to be gained or cam timing will be affected?

which IIRC is why peugeot ditched the second tensioner but added adjustable pullies on the XU10J4R and RS, so that you can liock the cams in place and set the tension, and the front run of the belt will always be the same length whatever the tension on the belt.

Sign in to follow this