• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Front Speaker Removal

Jer309GTi

On a phase 1 (J reg if it makes any difference) do you have to take off the whole door card to remove the front speakers?

I've done as my Haynes manual says and removed the speaker cover and can get to 3 screws but 1 is still under the door card.

Am I missing something or is Haynes being it's usual vague self and not telling you the full story?

Jer309GTi

Anyone took their front speakers out before?

I can't take my doorcards off as the car is garaged ATM and so I can't open the doors enough to get them off, so I was hoping you could get the speakers out without removing the doorcards.

TIA :)

KRISKARRERA

I'm pretty sure you can take speakers out without removing doorcards. If I'm wrong - what a bloody stupid design!

JeffR

You don't need to take off the doorcards, but you need room to open up the doors nice 'n wide to get to the screw underneath holding the speaker housing.:blink:

Once off, the speaker is screwed to the door proper with 2-3 screws. On (re)-fitting, be sure the connector plug inside the door doesn't foul on the window winder mechanism.

Jer309GTi

Nice one, thanks for the help Kris and Jeff.

I'll give it another go, hopefully I can get the doors open wide enough, if not it'll have to wait until the engines back in :)

Jer309GTi

Just been looking through the old posts and saw I forgot to reply how I got the speakers out. There are only 3 screws holding the speaker in, the top right (drivers door) and top left (passenger) holes in the speakers don't have screws in. It was still a pig to get the speakers out, had to bend the door card a bit to get them out

Sign in to follow this