• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

Mi16x4 Rear Suspension

AlexN

Passengers in the traveling in the back of my 4bie have been complaining the ride is really bouncy. As far as i know the suspension is working fine, does the car have a naturally lively backend or could there be something amiss? I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong but i'm wondering if anyone else has had complaints about the ride?

petert1345402284

sounds like the sphere needs regassing. It should ride better than a Rolls.

AlexN
sounds like the sphere needs regassing. It should ride better than a Rolls.

lol thanks, it's certainly a soft ride at the moment! So how do I go about regassing the sphere? I've got the back of the car in bits at the moment replacing the brake compensator so I might as well try this whist i'm at it. I assume its something that I can do myself or is it a job for a garage?

vicki mi16 babe

You will be able to get a new sphere from a pug dealers or try GSF or euro car parts...specify its for a 405 x4 and not a citroen as the pressures are different.

Its a job u can do yourself....good luck gettign the old one off though,couldnt do it when we replaced my rear axle....bust a few oil filler straps trying to get it off...cus they are pressurised its a pig :(

kutija1345402283

You have 400cm3 40 bar sphere.

Don't buy it at Peugeot dealer as it is 3 times more expensive, at least at my Peugeot dealer.

I would take the old sphere down and took it with me to Citroen dealer and ask for 400cm3 40 bar sphere AND you will just need to compare the size of holes on the sphere as there are two different sizes.

Don't try to dismount the sphere while the car is at service mode(rear end is up) as you will never take it down.

You should disconnect hydraulic pump supply connector.

Then you should make a switch or just use a wire and connect the two terminals, that are near button to rise the car,and wait untill hydraulic pressure in the cylinders(one left and one right) lowers to the point where they can be moved by hand....

And then dismount the sphere....

AlexN

Thanks for the replies. I have a spare sphere off another Mi16x4 that I dismantled, is it worth trying this or getting a new one? I don't know what condition its in so i guess getting a new one would be the safest bet. At least if i get this sorted out i won't keep getting headaches from nagging passengers!

kutija1345402283

Well i would buy new sphere as it should be around 30 pounds from Citroen....so IMO not worth to put used sphere...

petert1345402284

Just make sure it's a double diaphragm sphere. If you want a bit firmer ride and handling, get it set to 55 Bar.

vicki mi16 babe
You have 400cm3 40 bar  sphere.

Don't buy it at Peugeot dealer as it is 3 times more expensive, at least at my Peugeot dealer.

I would take the old sphere down and took it with me to Citroen dealer and ask for 400cm3 40 bar sphere AND you will just need to compare the size of holes on the sphere as there are two different sizes.

Don't try to dismount the sphere while the car is at service mode(rear end is up) as you will never take it down.

You should disconnect hydraulic pump supply connector.

Then you should make a switch or just use a wire and connect the two terminals, that are near button to rise the car,and wait untill hydraulic pressure in the cylinders(one left and one right) lowers to the point where they can be moved by hand....

And then dismount the sphere....

How much would that cost though? Cheaper then the £30 odd to just get a new one??

kutija1345402283

Go to Citroen dealer...I payed mine few years back about 30 pounds and at Peugeot it cost 90 pounds

vicki mi16 babe

lol...how can they justify £90 when its only £30 for a new one??

Though i expect they would be more than £30 being from a dealers!!!

AlexN

I've just changed the sphere, but can't get the suspension to bleed properly - does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

AlexN

I assume that the system is self-bleeding apart from the compensator, but how does the fluid level marker on the reservoir work? When i press the button to raise the car the level drops to zero, but when the car is sat down normally the level reads completely full? Is it meant to behave like this, and does this indicate that I need to put more LHM into the system? Also what problems could arise from overfilling the system, I think I need more fluid in it but i'm not sure how much more to put in?

petert1345402284

It needs more fluid. The indicator should be in the centre when at maximum height. Just cycle it up and down (completely) a few times to bleed it

Guest scottcmb
I assume that the system is self-bleeding apart from the compensator, but how does the fluid level marker on the reservoir work? When i press the button to raise the car the level drops to zero, but when the car is sat down normally the level reads completely full? Is it meant to behave like this, and does this indicate that I need to put more LHM into the system? Also what problems could arise from overfilling the system, I think I need more fluid in it but i'm not sure how much more to put in?

and remember not to overfill!! because if you do and then let the suspension drop back down to normal ride height you will encounter fluid spilling out into the boot area of you car...it makes a nice mess!! :blink:

AlexN

Thanks everyone for all you help, i've got it sorted finally, now i've just got an MOT to worry about :unsure:

Sign in to follow this