• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest pugmi16vt

Us 89 405mi16 Questions

Guest pugmi16vt

Hello,

New to the forums and website.... nice to meet you all!! I have a 89 405MI16 and am finally getting around to working on it... had it stored for 6 years now and finally brought it home and putting it in the garage... will be a fall/winter project ;) Now my first question is besides pulling it apart and having it port and pollished... what does everyone recommend for extra HP.... I will be pulling the engine out so now is the time. Since the car has what 147 hp stock I belive and I would like to hit close to 200hp naturally asperated. Can you give me a set of items that would get me close to that?? IE: some cams, tb...etc that may be of interest to me. I greatly appreciate your time and look forward to talking to all you Peugeot fans!!!! great to have a place like this.

p.s. I also need a new radiator... does anyone have a place that they reccomend for aftermarket ones? that have better cooling performance?

Guest DesMi16

200bhp is not too bad a target to aim for other than your emissions strangled, low comp US engines. The first thing that I would personally do is get the compression ratio up to around 11.3:1. I use the Catcams 283 10.8 lift cams on standard Mi bottom ends as the safe limit of 7400rpm can get the best of these cams. Vernier pulleys are a must to get spot on timing if you're going for the very best you can extract from it. We also run KMS 45 throttle bodies and management with a wide band lambda. Lambda keeps the emissions down and quite economical when cruising. A 2 1/2" exhaust will free up the top end. This spec will give 195-200bhp @7400rpm.

As for radiators, there's loads of places in the UK that sell aluminium rads but that's probably not a lot of help in the US.

petert1345402284

How you get the CR to up near, or above 11:1, is your biggest issue, as you only have 9.7:1 to begin with. There are basically three methods, depending on the condition of your existing liners:

1. Fit new XU9J4 pistons/liners - still only gives 10.4:1

2. Deck existing block and liners 1.3mm - gives 10.8:1

3. Bore existing liners to suit new forged 83.50mm pistons.

Point #1 is the least desireable as you only end up with 10.4:1 and a less than desireable squish height, if you can find some. I have done both 2 and 3. Decking gives a very impressive result from the std. pistons as the squish height is reduced. I can give you the part # for the Wiseco forged pistons I designed if you want to go the forged route. They give 11.25:1. As you're in the US, they'll ship direct to you. They're approx. US$480 for the set.

If going for that much hp, you'll need a bigger inlet cam, so you'll need to check piston/valve clearances with both 2 and 3. I sell an exchange reground Stage II inlet cam that will make 200hp with either 2 or 3, and 45mm TB's.

You will also need to find a reputable machine shop that can bore/hone liners without ending up with an oval bore.

Sign in to follow this