• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyB1345402284

Lack Of Power

AndyB1345402284

Hi all,

the other day i was driving my 2.0 lemans home from glasgow and i had a severe lack of power. When i got home i got out and it sounded almost as if it was running of 3 cylinders with the occasional misfire. I thought this might either be somit up with a coil or plug etc so left my car in the drive till today when i was due to take it to my mates garage. upon driving to work today the whole thing runs fine with no problems whatsoever??

Does anyone have an idea what could be up as don't wanna waste my mates time, but wanna get it checked out incase it happens again. The weather was hot last week so might be something to do with that.

Any help appreciated

Andy

cybernck

your engine has 4 coils, which tend to break when they overheat (not all 4 at the same time though),

which might explain why it's initially running ok (intermittent coil failure).

however, i reckon your K-light would be on when this happens, so you'd know there something wrong

with the engine and it would show up on diagnostics check.

AndyB1345402284

Cheers for that. Well the diagnostics machine is showing a fault in coil 2. reckon prob worth getting it changed anyway.

Cheers

Andy

lemans120

what you will probably find is a couple of months down the line another will go so if you can afford it i would get a set of four you should be able to save a bit on the price i have changed three of mine now in the space of 10000mls so wont be long till another goes

cybernck

don't change the wrong coil btw, cylinders are counted from the gearbox end, not cambelt end.

so what if another one goes, it's a 5 minute job to change it... and one of the new ones can go as well anyway.

AndyB1345402284

Driving home last night it was bust again. seems to be any temp over 30 and it stops working. Anyway, part coming tomorrow and will let my mate change it as i don't have the tools for a start and he's the mechanic so if changes wrong one will have to fix it for me :) .

Have had 3 coils go now(2 at 1 time before) since i got the car and thats in 50k miles over 3 years so not that bad(well might be, no idea). If i remember correct the 2 went during a hot summer also.

Cheers for the help.

Andy

gingerscotsman

I have the same problem with the Mi16 I bought. I fiddled with the coil wiring and it went away for a bit but unfortunatly its back. :(

Eurocar parts do a replacement coil for £30 each.

Bargain.

Pity they are so unreliable in the first place <_<

pug309twin40s

im sure the trouble is that the big metal cover that holds the coils down traps the hot air and which makes them burn out quick.

maybe if some slots where cut in the cover for some air to escape or some way to feed cool air onto the coils to stop them getting so hot.

ive got this on my new 405. missfires badly at low revs. but i have 8 spare coils so will play around swapping them to see if the missfires goes.

Miles

I had a cover made up from ally which held the coils down with the tops open to air, Never had a problem over 50k

pug309twin40s

well i changed the coils on mine this morning to a spare set i had and my missfire has totally gone.

ive got a spare top cover so might cut some slots into it

cybernck

why did you change all of them and not just the one (?) that had been misfiring?

pug309twin40s
why did you change all of them and not just the one (?) that had been misfiring?

because i didnt know which 1 was missfiring and didnt have much time to go changing 1 at a time until it it stopped missfiring before work.

so thought id change them all for the spare 1's and see what happends and if it still missfired then another time play around changing each coil until it worked.

well it worked on all 4 coils. so another time will get the 4 coils i took off and the 4 spare that came with the car and fit each 1 to test them until i find the 1's that were playing up and ditch the faulty ones.

Guest badboyracer3500

i fixed my phase 2, and yes it was a coil.

the quickest way to find which coil is faulty is to lift each coil up slowly while engine is running and the one that stops sparking the lowest is the faulty one.

it sounds a bit hit and miss but its a simply test and works well. it took me longer to take the cover off than find faulty coil and replace.

Gavin.

Sign in to follow this