• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Xu9j4 Engine Noise

KRISKARRERA

I've had a noise on my mi16 for as long as I can remember

It happens most under full acceleration and sounds alot like a rattling pulley. And the sound quickens as the revs rise. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops.

Any pearls of wisdom anyone?

Guest Tjuls

I think i have the same noise.. It comes from down by the pedals.. :huh:

Edited by Tjuls

cybernck

exhaust rubbing on something?

KRISKARRERA

Next time I get this noise I'm going to pull over and rev up the engine in neutral to see if it still does it. I bet it doesn't though.

AlexN

The only thing that I can sugest (as it happened to me) is to check the rubber boot in the drivers footwell around the steering column to see if it has come out. When I replaced it the rattling noise (which I put down to the manifold which sits right under the boot) stopped completely! The noise had me worried for a while until I discovered this!

KRISKARRERA

Good idea but unfortunately everything is ok in that department. Over on Aussie frogs they often talk about the harmonic balancer being worn.

KRISKARRERA

Noticed something - it happens on bouncy roads. (My suspension is lowered). Maybe it's driveshafts.

Stuey
Noticed something - it happens on bouncy roads. (My suspension is lowered). Maybe it's driveshafts.

Kris, two things come to mind - the auxiliary belt tensioner bearing or the RHS driveshaft intermediate bearing.

Stuey

KRISKARRERA

Yes, you could be right because mine has a tensioner for the air con. 40+ degrees in Austraila? It recently went up to about 30 degrees here and even at that temp I noticed the car seemed slower, didn't help that I had aircon on al the time though :lol:

Edited by KRISKARRERA

Sign in to follow this