• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemans120

Fuel Starvation

lemans120

during the last outing in the track car i had issues with fuel not getting through ,it had over 1/2 a tank when stationary ,will have to resort to running with a full tank for now but wondered if there was any way of solving this so i can run with lighter fuel load

KRISKARRERA

Hmm I blame the French! If we drove on the same side of the road as them we'd go around roundabouts anti-clockwise and the fuel would always be near the pipe to the fuel pump. I know I'm just stating the obvious there.

I wonder if it's possible to fit a smaller fuel tank. I think what doesn't help is that shallow section of the tank on the nearside.

lemans120

was thinking another tank seen one on e-bay at 70 quid but would need different pump for it or maybe a large glass bowl style fuel filter if you know the things i mean defeats the object of stripping it out if i have to run with 50 kg or so of fuel

KRISKARRERA

LOL you lost me there! Bowl style fuel filter??

There's gotta be some way of attaching a smaller fuel tank to the 405 that allows you to use the standard pump.

Personally I find it a right bitch just using a quarter tank on anything bigger than a mini roundabout so gawd knows what it must be like on track!

Miles

Use a fuel acumalater, Basically a seperatre mini fuel tank ehich fills from the tank then another pump to the engine, return to the acumalater then over flow back to the tank.

easy to fit and I can supply them

lemans120

what sort of cost will i be looking at for that

Guest DesMi16

The best way we found of solving this problem is to run an external fuel tank. This consists of a 1 litre tank outside of the original with a pump filling this tank from the main tank. It has a fuel return so that it's never pressurised. A second pump then feeds the injector rail from this tank. If the first pump stops collecting there is still enough fuel to get most the way around most circuits. Had to develop this setup for 205 track cars with standard fuel pumps for exactly the same problem as you have.

:lol: Just read Miles' post. Same thing!!

Edited by DesMi16

petert1345402284

Or cut the tank in half and plastic weld it up.

tzracing

I was wondering if I can switch the fuel tank from the 1993 405 SR, since the tank capacity is also 75 Ltrs, just dont know if the SR fuel tank has got the recipient where fuel stays when cornering, of if it is the same shape to fit.

Any help?

ryan13961345402285

Could simply be dirt in the strainer on the pickup for the fuel pump. Exactly the same thing happened with my Metro GTi hillclimb car and I removed the in-tank pump, cleaned the gauze and that solved the problem. But then again I'm unsure of the pump setup on an Mi16. Is there an intank pump on them?

KRISKARRERA

There isn't but I believe there is a filter of sorts in the pick up bit in the tank.

petert1345402284
  Is there an intank pump on them?

Yes there is. There's an internal combined pre-pump and float, plus the external high pressure pump.

KRISKARRERA

Is it worth taking it out and giving it a bit of a clean?

Guest jontg428
Is it worth taking it out and giving it a bit of a clean?

I have noticed on my MI16 that when it begins to get low on fuel it cuts out a bit then comes back online, when really low on fuel it cuts out even longer. Thing is it will do this for about 30 miles before its empty. I do not like to run my cars out of gas, but I learned the hard way that 1/8th of a tank means your empty. Could it be that the pickup location/tank design is just not well suited to running a car low on fuel? That my guess for the moment

Sign in to follow this