• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

A Few Bottom End Rebuild Questions...

Jer309GTi

I recently bought an Mi16 engine for my 405

The head has been rebuilt so I don't need to touch that. I bought the block knowing that it needs new piston rings, and while it is apart I am going to change the big end and possibly main bearings.

Is there anything else that would need to be changed while I'm building it? The list I've got so far is:

Big end bearings

Main bearings (is it worth doing these?)

Headgasket

Headbolts

As the head has been removed I can't be sure that the crankshaft hasn't turned so would it be worth me taking the liners out and putting new o-rings on just in case they have moved?

The water pump is new.

Cheers

B1ack_Mi16

If you change the pistonrings, you should get the liners hooned first.

It might just be they're too worn to just have a re-hone, so that's 4 new liners.

Also I think you should change the rodbolts, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Anyone know if the rodbolts can be re-used?

pug309twin40s

liners will just need a quick re hone. Liners wont need replacing as there was virually no lip on the top of them etc.

change the main bearings at the same time while doing the big ends bearings.

speak to QEP mate and tell him your a member of 205forum and get the bits from there. get discount and good prices.

p.s this was my engine.

Jer309GTi

Yeah, I was quite impressed with the lack of wear on the liners :) I'll get on the fone to QEP next week and sort out some bits.

Paul, on the head was that damage between the waterways on No. 2 cylinder there when QEP did the head or did that happen after? Just wondering if it mattered, wouldn't have thought so cos it's between 2 waterways

pug309twin40s

yes mate that tiny little bit of corrosion was there before the cyl head went to QEP. nothing to worry about.

Jer309GTi

Didn't think so, thanks for that :) Hope to start stripping the engine this week.

pug309twin40s

ah cool. when you hoping to have it running in the 405?

Jer309GTi

Hopefully in a couple of months time. It's a bit complicated, we've just put a new engine in the Triumph (our rally car) so once that's running I can use that and then sell the 306 which will pay for the engine rebuild! My g/f is having my 205.

pug309twin40s

hows the engine progressing mate?

Sign in to follow this