• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Veero

Problems Above 3k Revs

Guest Veero

Hi guys,

Before I have to duck for cover as I have seen a couple others have, I have indeed just put an Mi16 into my 205 but fortunately it came out of an already well and truly knackered BX. I would very much like one day to have a 405 Mi16, but funds do not allow such extravagances at present.

Anyway. With this engine I spent the week before last off work performing the transplant and came a across a few issues. I have tried the 205 forum but haven't been getting any replies :( .

The symptoms are a now perfect idle (plugged ICV and temp sensor in wrong way round initially :rolleyes: ), but if you blip the throttle it splutters and misfires, as if it's struggling to get enough air. Unburnt fuel comes out the exhaust. However if you raise the revs gently it will fire on all 4 up to 4k revs (still running in new shells and bearings so not past 4k revs yet). It is totally undriveable and getting the train to work sucks <_<

As far as i can tell all the sensors are wired correctly. It's running the engine loom from the BX on a Motronic 1.3 3 row ECU.

Here's what new:

Plugs

Leads

Coil

Dizzy cap

TDC sensor

ECU temp sensor

Thermostat

All gaskets/seals

Bearings main and big end

Piston rings

Injectors (3000 miles from new)

AFM (recon unit, also 3000 miles) swapped for another known working one, same symptons

Rotor (used but cleaned up looks like new)

Oil filter

Fuel filter

Idle position swicth is set as per Haynes.

Here's a Photobucket album of it all.

I am absolutely stumped. Could it be a broken ECU or likely to be something far more simple? It does it straight from cold too.

Please please help. Im starting to wish Id never ever bought a Pug...

:unsure:

Veero

Edited by Veero

Guest Eric Josefsson

Have you checked the ignition module?

Edit: Hmm, if i got the wrong english part name, it´s this thing i mean:

Tändmodul.jpg

Edited by Eric Josefsson

Guest Veero

Ah forgot to add that to the list.

Yes I have a brand new one of those too.

Veero

petert1345402284

Is the ECU displaying any fault codes?

Guest Veero

Errr pass.

Presumably Id have to hook up the diagnostics light for that one.

How can I find out the codes from the diag socket without the necessary tool??

Cheers

Veero

Guest Veero

Yeah got the diagnostics light working now.

Even tried a different ECU and it's exactly the same. Unplug variuos sensors and the diagnostics comes up with the corerct fault code.

Now with added dent in the roof, top of the A-pillar. Anyone know if the paintless dent removal people are any good or is there a magic way to sort them? <_< ?

Spoke to someone on Saturday and he suggested that the fuel return pipe might be the problem. I took it off the FPR and blew down it and it was very hard work. Stopped blowing and it blew the air back at me.

Could this be the problem? Presumably the fuel return should have little or no resistance back to the tank??

Got a replacement TDC sensor on Saturday from a 206 as well and that didn't solve it.

Veero

Bonez

if it blew it back in your face then yes theres defo a problem!

because if you think about it when the car is on idle its going to be burning the little amount of fuel it needs to idle so when you rev it all the unburnt fuel will be sent back to tha tank and if it cant then it has no where to go but flood the engine.

change that pipe and see how she is.

Guest Veero

Well I hooked the return pipe up to a big bottle instead so it had no back pressure and the misfiring continued.

I washed the car on Wed night and Thursday it was ok, Friday it was too and today guess what back to its old tricks.

Im wondering if that's coincidence .

I swapped out most of the loom for a 2 row one and it still misfired. I think the loom part fro the ign amp and coil is dodgy. Theres no connection to the main loom for the shielding of wire that connects to ignition amp pin 6 but it shows its connected on the wiring diagram. Could no shileding cause a breakdown on high revs?

Veero

Guest Toddman

I have had this problem a couple of times.

Check the rotor arm - had a brand new one and it was faulty the centre part was arcing through to the end of the cam

Also check the TPS to make sure it is woring correctly - the wires in the plug to it can push back and fail to make contact.

Cheers

Luke

Guest Veero

Yeah bought a brand new rotor arm and TDC sensor yesterday, much much better, almost driveable but still severe misfiring above 2.5k revs.

Wondering if it's just a dodgy connection somewhere. I will have a look at the TDC sensor plug and the TPS. In fact its a 15 year old loom and some of the pins on the plugs although they test good on the contunuity with the multimeter perhaps arent making perfect contact in use.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully nearing the end of the diagnostics road with this one, feels close :)

Veero

Guest Veero

Fixed it on Friday.

Euro Car Parts had sold me the wrong ignition module. I had replaced it as a matter of course but popped the old one back in now its's running sweet as a nut.

:lol::lol:

Much bwaaaaaarp now B)

Veero

Sign in to follow this