• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

Help! Wiring Problems

AlexN

My Mi16x4 has always had a constant drain on the battery, I gave the car a mechanic to try and sort it out but he was getting no where so I am attempting to make sense of the wiring myself. The loom under the dash is in a hell of a state. The attached pictures show the wiring coming off the ignition switch. Wires have been cut both sides of the black and grey connectors. Can anyone tell me what these wires are for and why they might have been cut. As they have been cut both sides tracing them through the loom is impossible. Any help you can give me is very much appreciated. Of course these cut wires might not be anything to do with the drain, so any other ideas as to what could be causing it would also be appreciated. The car starts and runs fine and it has had an immobiliser fitted to it at some point (how easy is it to remove immobilisers?). Thanks for your help!

BushMaster-DSCF1140.jpg

BushMaster-DSCF1142.jpg

AlexN

Also, does anyone have details of where all the earth points are on a 1990 Mi16x4 as I want to check all of these out.

petespug405mi16

blimey that is a mess what has someone done to that?

AlexN

It sure is a mess, but it works, it was messed up due to the fitting of an immobiliser but it seems to be ok. The problem is as follows:

I have narrowed down the cause of the battery drain to Fuse 15. This is the accessory fuse and its linked to the accessory relay. When I touch the battery terminal to the post I can hear the accessory relay clicking. If I remove the relay and fuse 15 then the battery drain ALMOST stops, then if I remove what I think is the horn relay (its on the front right of the car behind the grill mounted on the fan assembly) then the drain stops completely. I have tested the relays and they seem fine. Could the cause of the relays tripping be a bad earth, if so where on the car is the earth for the horn? If the fuse is left in but the accesory relay removed the drain is still present, and vice versa. They both have to be removed to stop it! Can anyone shed any light on the issue and possibly explain why this is happening!!

Sign in to follow this