• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thomas papadopoulos

Kent Cams

hi all i live in Greece and i have a 405 mi16 89 model,fitting kent cams and pulleys without any other modification whould change the performance of the engine ?

i run a k.n induction kit filter but thats it

i apreciate any opinions

RobMGti

Fitting any cam to the engine will effect it. By how much is another question? What kent cams are you going for?

Its been proved recently that a single Catcam inlet cam gives a good solid increase over standard. Its been debated for a while about weather its necessary to use an Exhaust cam on the Mi16.

if i was you and you havent already purchased the Kent cams i would take a look at the Catcam website and get yourself an inlet cam

http://www.catcams.be/

petert1345402284

It depends which model you have. I sell cams as a side line and developed two regrinds for the inlet. If you have a cat. equipped car, with the XU9J4Z motor, 9.5:1, you're limited to my Stage I. The Stage II only works with the high compression version, which has 10.4:1. Don't be fooled by large profiles. You don't need a lot of duration to make good hp in an Mi16. My Stage I cam will make 180-185hp with a std. inlet manifold and 10.4:1, the limit of the std. injectors. The StageII grind will make 200+hp with throttle bodies. Because the exhaust ports are so efficient, the std. exhaust cam should be used with both of these profiles. You're only throwing fuel away on the over lap. I've dynoed tested cars with and withou the exhaust cam, it makes no difference with these profiles.

Stage I - 226 deg. @ 0.050"

Stage II - 236 deg. @ 0.050"

Std. - 214 deg. @ 0.050"

Edited by petert

Guest franco

Are your cams on exchange only basis peter? I wanted to do this a while ago, but never got round to it. You also do an offset key (or adrian, can't remember!)?

Will just an offset key make a difference (in how it adjusts the timing) to torque curve, or is it best used in conjucntion with the stage 1 cam (stage 1 because I still intend to retain the factory management)?

Cost of stage 1 inlet cam?

Edited by franco

petert1345402284

The reground cams are $250 exchange, or built up (higher lift models) $550 exchange.

The Stage I cam with a #3 pulley will have a 109 deg. centre line, advanced 5 degrees over a standard inlet cam with a #2 pulley. That's a nice compromise between torque and power, but it pulls like a tractor with a 107 deg. centreline.

It can be advanced further with an offset key, in 2, 3 or 4 deg. increments. So depending on which pulley you have, it's possible to put the cam just about anywhere you want, without the need for a vernier pulley. Offset keys are $30 each.

Edited by petert

Guest franco

I was under the impression that the std pulley could be utilised? I run a catalysed XU9J4.

petert1345402284

That's exactly what I'm saying. The XU9J4Z #3 pulley with the Stage I cam is fantastic. But if you want to move the power further down you can advance it further. Some people like to be able to pull from idle in 5th.

Guest franco

What I thought.

Ideally, more torque around the 3-3500 rpm mark is what I'm chasing, rather than the std 4500+ onwards, so as to not downshift to 2nd to gain time round some corners, making 3rd and 4th more useable.

petert1345402284

All you need do is fit a 4 degree key then.

Guest Eric Josefsson
What I thought.

Ideally, more torque around the 3-3500 rpm mark is what I'm chasing, rather than the std 4500+ onwards, so as to not downshift to 2nd to gain time round some corners, making 3rd and 4th more useable.

All you need do is fit a 4 degree key then.

Well the torque around 3000-3500rpm isn´t really a cam issue, maybe a cam can help the torque a little bit but the main problem is in a diffrent part. This area´s low torque is related to the length of the inlet manifold, you have a negative pulse in the pipes at these rpm´s that brakes the air heading in for the cylinder, so if you alter the lenght of those you can get alot of torque.. unfortunally in cost of torque in another rpm.

The orginal xu9j4 inlet have a great lenght for the top-rpm´s the only thing that would be good on it is just to get some radius in the inlet of the pipes.

petert1345402284

We're mostly talking about the XU9J4Z here. It lacks in the 3000-3500 range. The XU9J4 is a lot stronger. Fitting the key enables you to overtake in 5th from 100 km/h with ease.

The main problem is cylinder pressure. The XU9J4 with 10.4:1, naturally has a lot more in this range. Advancing the inlet cam increases the dynamic compression ratio, thus increasing torque, at the expense of some top end power. The key modification is very common over here in Australia.

Guest Eric Josefsson

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about z too, just making it a letter shorter ;) The inlet manifold is the same either way.

I think that even the xu9j4z is strong enough to use even 3000-band on the track even thougt it feels slow and it feels like the 4000+ is hours away when you flat out after the apex. I rather have a weaker engine in the 3000band in a corner, than that the top prm´s have to suffer for some minor gains in the mid-band.

On swedish tracks I'ts very rare that you can gain time by using the second gear so yes, I would also like more power in this band, of course, more power at any band is always fun, but in my personal opinion, not if its meaning less power in a higher (useble) rev. :)

my engine is non cat,xu9j4 so peter how much will it cost for this engine a pair of cams?

Fitting any cam to the engine will effect it. By how much is another question? What kent cams are you going for?

Its been proved recently that a single Catcam inlet cam gives a good solid increase over standard. Its been debated for a while about weather its necessary to use an Exhaust cam on the Mi16.

if i was you and you havent already purchased the Kent cams i would take a look at the Catcam website and get yourself an inlet cam

http://www.catcams.be/

thanks rob i ll check this out,the cams i found was on e bay and i asked the guy more info

petert1345402284
my engine is non cat,xu9j4  so peter how much will it cost for this engine a pair of cams?

$250 exchange for one, $450 for two (plus postage). But why do you want two? Unless your exhaust cam is damaged it's a waste of money.

my exhaust cam is ok peter i didnt know i ll have to change only the one cam to see the difference!I ll lets you know when its time thank you very much

Guest m.i-man

Cams, keys, and verniers. :lol:

I have an mi16, waiting to put some twin 48 dellorto's on... reading this thread has given me slight insight into cams etc... but has also left me quite confused.

Talk of keys etc and what gains can be made by them.... I assume this is also with an inlet cam? :unsure:

Maybe someone can enlighten me on what I may require for mine.... std engine on carbs basically.... will I benefit by having cam(s), pulleys, keys... all three? one or two of the three? :blink:

:lol:

Cheers.

petert1345402284

A vernier pulley and an offset key are two different methods of achieving the same thing. ie positioning a camshaft in an ideal position. A vernier pulley is adjustable, whilst a key is not. The advantage of an offset key is that it's a 10th the price of a set of pulleys. There's no point in moving or changing the exhaust cam, just the inlet.

KRISKARRERA

So the difference in inlet cam timing between cat and non-cat Mi is the reason the cat engine's power peaks 100rpm lower?

Guest nunoserrano

Hi

just to help i have bought one inlet cam stage 1 from Petert for about 2 years but never used :( becouse i have being built other engine spec but i have also buy from im the offset key that i have used in my brother car its a XU9J4 and i must say that realy works its amayzing the difrence i have only put the off set key and the car revs realy 8??? RPM :P thanks again petert

Guest Eric Josefsson

Can't you use another set of cam pulleys instead of an offset key, the xu9j4z has 2 and 3 marked pulleys? and the xu9j4 has 3 and 3?

Long time since I looked at the pulley diffrens but I'm rather sure that the j4 had another set compared to j4z?

KRISKARRERA

I know - I'm following both. I did a search on 205drivers and we were all having almost exactly the same conversation back in 2004. Funny how Fijibob and C_W haven't got both #2 pulleys. Might check mine.

Guest m.i-man

Right, if you use a #4 pulley, do you need to use one of these keys, or std one? or have I read the entire thread on the 205 forum and got myself even more lost?? :lol:

Sign in to follow this