• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave100e

Clutch Problems

Dave100e

Ive recently bought a 205 1.6. Its been converted by a previous owner to a gti-6 engine. Its still using the 1.6 gearbox and i believe an Mi16 clutch.

Ever since i bought it its struggled to go into gear, especially first and reverse, and once on the move you may aswell just rev match the gears as the clutch is useless. Driving hard its fine but the rest of the time, just driving normally its rubbish.

But when you stop and dip the clutch in the engine goes to idle fine. The clutch is definately dragging a bit but its not enough to affect the revs or make the car want to pull away (it does move forwards slowly, and you can feel the clutch plate dragging though).

The car has uprated linkages fitted, and gear selection is perfectly fine, ive had 205s before with very poor gear linkages, and these are definately in good condition.

The cable has been adjusted and has possibly stretched a bit. Its currently adjusted as best we can but the pedal is now quite high up although the bite is low down where it should be. I do have to push the pedal all the way down to the floor to change gear though.

The only two things i can personally put it down to, are a sticky clutch release bearing, or if the clutch fork is flexing.

I dont mind replacing the clutch, but wouldnt be very happy if i did so and it never solved the problem. I also dont know which release bearing i am supposed to use if i do. I dont know whether i can use an mi16 item or if it has to be GTI-6?

Any ideas or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

Check that the gearbox is still attached to the engine, in particularly the 8mm hex head lower rear bolt.

If that works it's way loose and comes out, the gearbox tends to come away from the engine block when you depress the clutch and plays havoc with the clutch operation.

Otherwise, is it a BE1 (reverse next to first) or BE3 (reverse below 5th) gearbox?

Flying205Nutter

Are you sure it not running a vts box and pull clutch? rather than the 205 push clutch? if it is a pull clutch then the 205 pedal does not pull it enough and needs modifying to achieve more travel.

Dave100e

Reverse gear is next to first, so i think BE1.

Thanks, ill have a look tomorrow to see if everything is nice and tight. It makes sense that if the box is loose the clutch wont work properly.

I was told its the original Gearbox. Ive owned a Mi16 205 with a 1.6 box in the past and the gear ratios are the same. If theres an easy way of identifying i can have a look tomorrow.

Sign in to follow this