• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Weser

Low Voltage Side Of Dizzy, How Does It Work?

Weser

So my 1.9 keeps cutting out sometimes and I think its down to the connection on the low voltage side of the dizzy. Not the one on the flying lead from the Dizzy as I have had my Dizzy refurbished so that should be fine. But the lead that that plug connects to, if that makes sense.

Can someone tell me where this wire that plugs into the low voltage side of the dizzy goes to? Is it part of the loom? Is it a seperate loom that is still availiable? That would be great. Service box is all in french now and wont change to english for me so I am finding it hard to look it up.

I am terrible with the ignition system if someone could give a brief overview of it that would help me loads.

welshpug

That wire is effectively the crank sensor wire, it transmits a signal from the dizzy to the ignition amp which in turn triggers the coil.

I think most are still available from peugeot

Weser

Ahh great thanks. Does it go through the loom to the sensor amp? Or is that whole section just described its own little loom? I dont suppose you know a part number for a Phase 2?

rallysteve

The low voltage side of the dizzy is essentially to replace the old style distrubutor which used mechanical points which wore out and needed adjusting. The system does not act as a crank sensor or it would end up being a wasted spark system! As it is driven from the camshaft it operates at half engine speed.

Hopefully this animation explains quite well what happens in the ignition system, the amplifier is just a transistor based system allowing for connection between the low current distributor and the higher current low tension coil wiring.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

Steve

Weser

Ahh That is great got it. Its not just wont start when its hot as well. Going to look into it soon only has to last until friday then I dont need it. I am getting married Saturday and have no time to fix it at the moment. Will have to be a job for after the honeymoon.

Sign in to follow this