• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timb1046

Cambelt Change

timb1046

I'm anout to embark on changine the cambelt/waterpump/tensioners on my Mi16 205. I've done countless amounts of searching on the site, but can't find what I once read which was a step by step guide which looked really, good. It basically meant that a novice like me could attempt the job reasonably confidently.

I've done a few cambelt changes in the past, but mostly on Landrovers and cars with alot more space! I understand that without the 'proper' pins it's best to use the exhaust manifold bolts? eyeing the job up earlier it looks like the easiest way to get access is remove the alternator/OS engine mount? anything else that I should be aware of?

Cheers,

Tim

timb1046

Found what I needed, sorry. :$

kyepan

shout if you have questions though, it can be a knob of a task, also get some new hex bolts for the tensioners, as the cap hex ones are just rubbish, prone to rounding and a pain to tension by comparison to putting a spanner on.

Also the tensioning is worth taking time over, and fiddling, and re tensioning if it squeals.

Edited by kyepan

S@m

Is it not the downpipe bolts that are almost the same dimensions as the timing pins rather than the manifold ones? Failing that there is a diagram of the necessary sized pins in the haynes manual.

Slo

just use drill bits for the timing pins nice and acurate

welshpug

just use drill bits for the timing pins nice and acurate

no they aren't, as the holes in the head are smaller than those in the cam pulleys, hence the suggestion of the downpipe to manifold bolts as they have about an 8mm shank and a 6mm thread.

Slo

hmm ok then i just assumed the xu5 would be same as the xu10 as its how ive always done it sorry

Sign in to follow this