• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JRL

205 Cti Phase 1

JRL

My £500 ebay winter project. I dont know what came over me but i really fancied a phase 1 1.6 and ended up buying a haze blue cti.

What attracted me to this car is there was no rust, had a new hood, radiator and battery.

The 1st think I had to replace especially in a cti was the heater. I wasnt sure whether it was the module or fan motor so picked both up from a 1.1 look in the scrappy.

I then did a thorough service,

oil change, fuel filter, gear box oil, air filter, reconditioned injectors, bled the brakes and replaced master cyinder, pads, discs rear shoes and cylinders. wipers, ht leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm.

The car feels like it drives like new and I cant get enough of it. A well maintained standard 205 gives me more smiles than my mi16.

how do I upload a pic now?

Slo

Wonderful I have same phase 1 1.6 cti this was before i got it and someone has changed the front indicators to clear only other thing i notice on yours is your mirrors are different?

post-21076-0-68070900-1343763995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slo

JRL

Well spotted Andy! mine must have been knocked off at some point but i have pair of phase 1 mirrors to go on i have replaced a few weather strips but its hard finding decent ones. yours looks clean i like the sills on the cti they are thicker from being strengthened. I also like the ride on the cti the thicker tyres and base model front suspension absorb the bumps very well.

Anthony

Good to hear that you're still around James and that you're still enjoying the CTi - certainly looked tidy when I saw it not long after you bought it :)

Henry Yorke

Still looks well James. Such a totally different car to a GTI and once you have had one, you never want to go back to a tin top :)

• Like 3

Slo

And the best part is they will probably never rot, worst part is the roofs are like socks - all the pulling up and down means you will eventually poke something through the worn bits

Slo

I also like the ride on the cti the thicker tyres and base model front suspension absorb the bumps very well.

I have bought a gti subframe and all new gti suspension components to replace the base model suspension but for the very reason you mentioned there am reluctant to swap it over as i dont want to turn it into a dog, can anyone reccomend this upgrade?

JRL

I have bought a gti subframe and all new gti suspension components to replace the base model suspension but for the very reason you mentioned there am reluctant to swap it over as i dont want to turn it into a dog, can anyone reccomend this upgrade?

I really believe in replacing worn parts and keeping it well maintained if its a road car especially if its your daily driver. I think Henry yorke may have done this.

JRL

cti2.jpg

yesterday I used grey plasticare trim dye on all the trim looks so much better and replaced the driving light metal surounds

Edited by JRL

Slo

Im curious what have you done about the rear seats? as the leathers arent a straight swap

JRL

The rear seats were already fitted. it looks like previous owner had made them fit somehow. They are a bit crumpled up but dont look to bad. I put the driver and passenger seats in as the others were scrap.

JRL

you will have to let us know how the gti set up compares, if you have all the new parts ready you may as well go for it.

Slo

Late reply to this, have just completed a turbo conversion and have now swapped all the front suspension over and I 100% reccomend it its completely transformed the handling it doesn't pit in when cornering anywhere near as much as it used to now :)

ALEX

The rear seats were already fitted. it looks like previous owner had made them fit somehow. They are a bit crumpled up but dont look to bad. I put the driver and passenger seats in as the others were scrap.

The rear seats are chamfered at the corners for when the roof folds down.

I had my half leathers modified by professionally when I had the seats refurbished, wasn't expensive at all.

They'll be in my restoration thread in my sig in the comming months.