• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Another Oily Mi16 Question...

Justin

I know it’s a common post and I have done a search but please can anyone help diagnose a leak on my Mi16? Seems to be coming from the back of the engine somewhere.

I’m getting it ready for an MoT after 4 years off the road and noticed that it was pretty oily around the offside driveshaft. At first I thought it was grease from a split boot, but having cleaned it up a bit and changed the engine oil I’m pretty sure it’s engine oil coming from somewhere. I can’t see where it’s coming from, other than it appears to be coming from somewhere above what I think is a coolant hose connector block;

Are there any common/known leaks from this area that I should be looking at?

Many thanks,

Justin.

post-3211-0-65350700-1343744644_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-90313000-1343744653_thumb.jpg

kyepan

My initial guess would be cam shaft pulley oil seal, cam belt end.

Alrhough it could be rocker cover oil seal or head gasket.

See if you can get a small inspection mirror down behind the cam cover at that end to look at the cover.

Same with the inspection mirror but this time above th water distribution block, to see the bottom of the head.

Taking the outer cam belt cover off will tell you if it is the cam shaft pulley oil seal for sure.

If its been sitting for four years you could take the opportunity to change the cam belt, doing the oil seal is a matter of removing the pulley when the pistons are all safely at half mast. (rocker cover may also need to come off if you forget to slacken the pulley retaining bolts after taking the belt off.

Justin

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have a look with the mirror on a stick tonight and see what's going on.

Have been thinking about doing the cambelt. The belt was last done in 2005 when the engine was rebuilt and has covered about 10k miles. I assume the potential issue is the degradation of the rubber over time, rather than wear?

Justin.

Anthony

A 7 year old belt would certainly be worth replacing in my opinion, even if it hasn't covered many miles.

I can't remember if Peugeot specify belt changes by age as well as mileage, but many/most maufacturers do, and it's commonly less than 7 years. For the price of a cambelt and an hour or twos work, it's worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Justin

Sounds like my man-sized hands might be in for a bit of a bruising then!

Sign in to follow this