• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Driveshaft Replacement Through Empty Wheel Bearing Holes.

SurGie

Hi,

Im getting my driveshafts reconditioned and need to protect the wheel bearings from damage. The car will need to be moved on and off in short distances during the process time.

I thought of using some thick stud bolts and nuts to replace the shafts but im having trouble trying to find one the right diameter of the driveshaft bearing hole, i've tried a few places where they sell large studs.

I dont want to pay a lot for them, so going to the local machine engineering place isn't really suitable.

Any ideas ?

johnnyboy666

I bought some hubs a while back which had the end of the driveshaft machined off for this purpose. Might be an idea if youve got a couple of old knackered shafts?

• Like 1

Anthony

Just use an old pair of outer CV's - cheap/free and works perfectly.

• Like 1

SurGie

Great thanks guys, very helpful.

I have a habit of missing the most simplest yet most effective ideas at times. I wasn't going to get the CV joints replaced but i think as i dont know these shafts by hand, it will be best to get them replaced at the same time. This way i can use the old ones to protect the bearings and know the new CV joints wont give me any problems.

Cheers.

C_W

Some old cvs would work as suggested but I always used some lengths of threaded bar with large washers at each end to clamp the hub/bearing.

SurGie

I hammered off the CV joints and managed to break part of one, still usable though. The driveshaft reconditioning place has had trouble finding new CV joints, quality ones though. So they found one ABS one and took the teeth section off, i didnt want the recon type when i paid for two new ones.

Should get them tomorrow at some point, looking forward to it, just not the part in having to paint up the damaged paint bits that i had already painted, well thats boots for ya.

The cost of this service, as in fitting the new quality boots picked up and re-delivered is £70, not inc CV joints, cheaper than buying new quality boots from Pug and i know they have some sort of guarantee as well.

Sign in to follow this