• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
benny205mi16

Mi16 Block Decking

benny205mi16

Hello,

I have searched and read many topics,

My question is,

I am looking to get my block decked, I have read that decking by 0.4 mm is good for compression on these engines.

But what I am unsure of is do I have to say how much to take off or will the company I go to know what to do? I am thinking of going to Don Loughlin of Kidderminster I have read about him on here and there are good reports.

Thanks in advance

petert

0.4mm is correct, to achieve zero deck height and approx. 10.8:1-11:1 CR, however, you also need to give them your liners so they can get the protrusion correct. Decking the liners perpendicular is a far more challenging task and not for the inexperienced machinist. In addition, you also need to consider the reduction in piston-valve clearance and whether or not valve pockets will need deepening.

benny205mi16

Will the deepening of the valve pockets depend on weather and how much my head has been skimmed?

welshpug

yes, and which camshafts you decide to use.

if you already have a decent block and set of liners it may be simpler to get some pistons with larger cutouts and higher compression instead.

GLPoomobile

Will the deepening of the valve pockets depend on weather

Yes. If it's raining they will need deepening. If it's sunny, you're good to go :P

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :blush:

• Like 1

kyepan

I thought the MI had lots of clearance?

petert

Depends what you call lots of clearance. There's approx. 0.205" (in total) before you deck the block. If you had a cam with 0.140" @ TDC that only leaves 0.065" before decking. That would be certain death after decking. When you start decking blocks and fitting bigger cams you really need to start measuring clearances.

benny205mi16

Is all this measuring that is required something I can do my self or is that a job for the machine shop?

Some time in the future I do intend to fit throttle bodies and cams, so I guess it's best to work with that goal in mind and have the piston tops machined now.

benny205mi16

Any body who has done this before?

kyepan

Paul Gardias of gardias engineering used to build lots of high power xu engines, he is a machinist / engineer and knows exactly what to do. He's in whitney which is probably 2 hours from you. He did all my head, block and liner facing. he also does work for Anthony.

Give him a call.

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

benny205mi16

Paul Gardias of gardias engineering used to build lots of high power xu engines, he is a machinist / engineer and knows exactly what to do. He's in whitney which is probably 2 hours from you. He did all my head, block and liner facing. he also does work for Anthony.

Give him a call.

Thank you for your help,

I will give them a call and have a chat.

Then I can start the rebuild.

Thanks again

Cheers

J

benny205mi16

Some how I messed up that reply, managed to get my reply in the middle of yours. Oops

Sign in to follow this