• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Be1 Adapted To Be3

chipstick

I have these 2 gearboxes below:

9820d3d2.jpg

The one on the left is a BE3 with a sheared mount. The one on the right is a fully working 1.6 BE1.

Now, I bought a gearbox a while ago for mine sold as a 1.6, but I'm adamant it's actually a 1.9 - but that's another story.

The arm swap is obvious enough but what I would like to know is, how much needs to be dismantled to swap over the arm at the bottom. I presume the difference in the small arm at the bottom of the pics are for the reverse mechanism differences of the boxes?

If its a complete strip down and gear removal I'm not keen. But if it's a case removal and pretty self explanatory I may give it a go.

Also, the 1.6 BE1 and BE3 ratios are the same aren't they?

Tom Fenton

It isn't that clear what you are asking here? The gear selector arms can all be left alone and will work with the existing gear rods on the car. The clutch arm mechanism can all be swapped over as the BE1 casing does have the necessary holes. Probably the hardest part of the job is to get the BE3 clutch "arm" off the shaft to allow it to be dismantled from the BE3 box.

Daviewonder

Are you asking if you can change the position of reverse gear?

chipstick

Getting the arm off the shaft is something ive managed several times in the past so there's no issue with that. It's just on the BE3 there is a bent arm coming up in the bottom left of the box in that pic. On the BE1 it's a flat arm. I thought this would need changing over to use it as a BE3 box.

Tom Fenton

You cannot use it "as a BE3 box". It is a BE1 and reverse is next to 1st gear and really needs the lockout cable fitting. It will however fit straight in the car and fit with the existing gear linkages.

chipstick

That's the end of that plan then!

welshpug

are you asking if you can change that damaged section which has no levers poking out of it?

chipstick

All I was after was a 1.6 BE3 box to put in my car. I have a 1.6 BE1 and a scrap BE3 box so wondered if I could make a good one out the two with just doing any lever swaps as I noticed that one was different.

I don't want a BE1 setup or I would of fitted the box straight over.

chipstick

are you asking if you can change that damaged section which has no levers poking out of it?

The damaged one is a 1.9 *I think* otherwise I'd change the end over for the BE1s good casing.

ALEX

Isn't the BE number embossed on the casing? It would suggest to me they would be different.

The Diff is different between the two aswell AFAIR.

I'm after a BE1 casing, shame you live so far away.

Edited by ALEX

welshpug

nowt wrong with a BE1 box.

chipstick

Isn't the BE number embossed on the casing? It would suggest to me they would be different.

The Diff is different between the two aswell AFAIR.

I'm after a BE1 casing, shame you live so far away.

I can courier it if you want it

ALEX

Thanks for the offer, but I can get one already for £40 local.

Miles

Take the numbers with a pinch of salt, I hate to think how many I have changed along with other's I would say a good 25% chance of it not being what the case say's these days.

BE1's are better, The selectors give the impression of being closer together over the BE3 box,

Also the BE1 box's use 4 different case's and the early ones are CR over the std 1.6 box

Sign in to follow this