• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

Mi16 Oil Pressure Problems

cybernck

A friend is having troubles with his Mi16 engine.

A few months ago, it had somehow lost the oil pressure and one of the bottom end bearings had gone. He sorted it out

and it was fine until recently, when it started having oil pressure problems again. When the car starts up, the bottom end

is knocking and STOP light is lit, but it rises after a few seconds *or* if he tips the throttle, which is definitely not a good

thing and can lead to a total engine failure.

He's already replaced a suspected duff oil filter and it got only slightly better. The other two ideas that spring to mind

are oil pump (spring or something) or that it might be loosing a pressure on the bearings that he's replaced, meaning

a slightly work or bent crank.

Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this situation before?

Thanks.

petert

Relief piston/spring might be jamming open. I'd replace the entire pump.

unariciflocos

If it doesn't hold pressure at idle and it knocks, then the rod bearings gave up again.

This is what I've learned after rebuilding my Mi16 for the 4th time:

-no 2 or no 3 rod bearing goes - 90% chance of a bent crank

-any rod bearing that goes will cause the rod to oval - this must be replaced or repaired

If he failed to check and fix the above, chances are those were the causes why it gave.

cybernck

OK, would it be possible to fit an 8v oil pump?

And has anyone tried running an 8v crank in an Mi16 engine?

It's nigh on impossible finding an Mi16 engine here nowdays.

petert

8V and 16V XU9 pumps are identical. 8V crank and 16V crank are identical in terms of dimensions, but not counterweights, thus easily swapped.

Sign in to follow this