• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Help Out A Newbie, That Already Have Searched A Bit

Bovien

Hi all

Just got a nice 205 GTI 1,9 '89 the other day. All is well with the bodywork and swapped in a full leather cabin from a wrecked gti, so the interior is also getting there.

BUT....

The oil temp is running hot after aprox 15 min of motorway driving. If I stick to 70 mph, it looks to level out at 120c but if I go to 85mph it climbs towards top of the stock oil temp gauge.

To verify, I used a (admitted rather cheap) IR thermometer. When the cars temp gauge was at the 2nd last point the IR temp said 120c at the oil filter. The sump itself was 100c (guessing the oil will be warmer still). These temps are ok, but as mentioned, they rise steadily if I push beyond 70 mph. Now, that cannot be right.

I just changed filter and oil, but what can I look for next to find the cause? I read that the sensor is at the sump, but I didn't see it while changeing oil?

My oil pressure is all over the place. Sometimes if flickers all over the gauge and sometimes it reads zero. Once in a while it looks right and steady, but only at a cruise as soon as it move the throttle, it flickers again.. I have replaced the sensor (the one to the left when you look at the block) but not the one just next to. (see pic)

IMG_2944.jpg

If I am to replace the one on the right, how is that done?

I've just replaced plugs and rotor, which helped on some stutter between 2-3000 rpm. However, the engine seems to not give any point to pull beyond 5000 rpm. Seems to flatten out there. Is that correct for the 1.9 '89 engine? More lives on torque from 3-5000 that spikey hp's? Not what I expected from having driven a 1.3 106 rallye before.

Now, for something completly different ;)

Where do I find permanent 12V for the radio? Should I take it from the cigarette lighter or is there anything in there? Only thing I can see is a white 2 leaded cable, which has a strange connector at the end.

Mats.. Any idea where to get the most OEM (but still with GTI logos) looking LHD mats? I found links to RHD... I can find some on ebay, but they do not look all that spiffy... or maybe a bit too spiffy ;)

welshpug

the sensor is at the rear of the sump, the larger on the front is oil pressure sender for the gauge, the smaller one is the oil pressure switch for the warning light.

Bovien

Thanks. Anything on the hot oil issue?

barrass

Mine always sits at the 3rd line from the top on the oil temp on the motorway the fan kicks in soon after,i am running a 4 branch manifold which seems to increase the underbonnet temp,is your oil cooler clean ? stupid question but worth a look !

Bovien

Mine has some white sparco dials (are they not OEM?), and has three lines from button to one third up, which is 90. Next line is not numbered but is two thirds up, and I'm guessing 120 and last line is 140. I got it up what should be 130 just today but measured 118c at the filter with my IR thermo.

I'm thinking the temp sensor is bad, but I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. It also takes AGES to get up to operating temp (roughly op), which underlines that it might be bad. It shouldn't take 15 min to get to 90c, right?

Where is the oil cooler? I thought it had a build in water cooler at the filter? By the way, my engine is a XU9J2 from a 405 of BX, but that is almost tha same engine as the original 1.9 GTI..

barrass

Oil cooler is up in front of the rad.

Bovien

No cooler there.. That might be the reason why the XU9J2 engine is running hot? Anyone know if that engine runs in either the BX GTI or the 405 without a cooler?

Also, what is recommended as a aftermarket cooler? I would prefer something that connects through a sandwich plate at the filter and include a thermostat. What size is reccomended?

pug_ham
Mine has some white sparco dials (are they not OEM?)

Sparco dials are definately not standard / OEM, where does the oil temp gauge needle sit with the ignition turned off?

Its very possible that the needle hasn't been refitted in the right place when the sparco dials were stuck on.

g

Bovien

Think it sits ok, but its a good idea though. I will check and also check temp with my IR thermo a bit more. But still; if the stock engine has an oil cooler, then this one should have as well. The point is that the oil temp seems to slowly creep up constantly when going above 75mph or so..

welshpug

1.6 does not use an oil cooler, and doesn't have any cooling issues.

Bovien

But this is a 1.9. It apparently does? Any 1.9 that doesn't run a cooler OEM?

Edited by Bovien

Sign in to follow this